PDA

View Full Version : When to semi-bluff dangerous flops?

01-10-2002, 04:09 AM
I believe I semi-bluff to often on the flop without taking into account the combination of cards that flopped?

Lets say I'm in a blind position with Ks2s and the flop comes 9s, 6s, 7h. I usually will automatically bet this draw into any number of opponents. For some reason I feel like I'm playing weak if I don't bet it.

I'm thinking that I end up making my draw expensive because sometimes an opponent will raise and knock out the mediocre hands or my bet just has no hope on winning the pot right there.

I was wondering what some of you think about when deciding whether to semi-bluff on the flop against certain card combinations. I have read a little on this idea in HPFAP, but the concept hasn't stuck to well.

Thanks, CV

01-10-2002, 07:50 PM
If somebody raises you with A9 and knocks everybody else out, it's not so bad since any King will now win the pot for you. That raise could have knocked out KJo.

If everybody calls while you've got an excellent chance to make your flush, that's good too. When I bet a flop like this in early position, I'm usually hoping that everyone calls to create a big pot. I'm not hoping everyone folds in this case.

01-13-2002, 01:11 AM
Chris,

There's no info on pre- flop action; assuming

that the pot is unraised, there are dangers in leading at this pot: you could be facing A-xs, and

with this type of flop, many people will call with

any two overcards.The hand could easily turn into a disaster for you in a multi- way pot if one player has A-xs, and another makes a small set on the flop.With the kind of action you'll likely get, you're going to be hard put to figure out where you stand.I'd much prefer to check and await

events; if there's a bet and a call or raise, you have a better idea where you are than if you bet,

are called and raised, or are raised and re- raised.

01-13-2002, 10:29 AM
With the right image against folders, look for one big card with trash or a (preferably low) board pair (they won't put you on a set, but they won't discount it entirely and won't want to chase). In the example given, betting is an announcement that you're on a draw or a made hand -- what do you think they'll think?

Generally, I don't think it's so much the cards, but how my opponents play, and how they'll consider my bet: some smell a draw and automatically play, others worry about dead overcards. Automatically betting the flop therefore has to be wrong because there has to be some thought given to the possibility of your opponents folding on the flop or turn, of how much bluffing equity they'll give you. Multiway, consider the chance of check-raising an early opener to build the pot or a late opener to steal it. It can also be correct to bet the flop when you know they'll all call but generally not bet or raise without big hands (strictly LL here): you're looking to build a pot with close to the right immediate odds and tie them on if you hit.