PDA

View Full Version : HELP - am I becoming Tight Passive?

Webster
11-23-2003, 12:32 PM
In the past 4 days I've gone from "This is to easy" to "am I to passive?"

The problem is not the losing, it's the lack of winning. I've been playing approx 25-30% flops, I know some people say play tighter but personally I don't think so.

I can take losing but I'm constantly folding when I have nothing and it is seeming like I have nothing A LOT. I don't like bluffing when I have 4 people seeing my button raises.

I've played 600 hands with a win rate of 7%. Of the hands that have gone to show down I win 33%. However I'm not winning THAT much. I've only had one boat and ONE flush.

I'm I just having one of those streaks?? I live, breath and read constantly and have 60,000 hands under my belt but I've never gone in a non-win funk before, bad beat funks yes non-win no.

I'm starting to feel I'm folding with nothing to much (sounds crazy I know LOL).

One thing I've noticed is I've won 3 of 19 times with 2 pair. This seems rather low to me!

Thanks for listening - sometimes ya just got to put in on a page to relax.

chesspain
11-23-2003, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm constantly folding when I have nothing and it is seeming like I have nothing A LOT. I don't like bluffing when I have 4 people seeing my button raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're playing solid poker. Would you really rather be showing down more second best hands at the river?

Webster
11-23-2003, 12:58 PM
EXACTLY - I look at my hands and see solid poker and I play and see these guys playing 50% of their hands winning constantly (at least while they play me).

They are not paying "ME" off with their bad hands. I even adjust my play for loose tables.

Sorry - rather whine here then at a table. AS I said - don't mind losing - it happens. Winning is my problem! BUT . . . .sooner or later it'll happen.

Just tired of folding J9s in the middle and having the guy UTG get his flush with 85s because he ALWAYS plays any 2 suited.

Thanks again - just needed to get it off my chest!

Sarge85
11-23-2003, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I even adjust my play for loose tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaborate about this. Your answer may lie in the "adjustments" you are making.

Saborion
11-23-2003, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can take losing but I'm constantly folding when I have nothing and it is seeming like I have nothing A LOT. I don't like bluffing when I have 4 people seeing my button raises.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bluffing at these limits is not a good idea. Folding at the flop is a pretty good place to fold, since you`ve seen the majority of the cards.

[ QUOTE ]
I've played 600 hands with a win rate of 7%. Of the hands that have gone to show down I win 33%. However I'm not winning THAT much. I've only had one boat and ONE flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you started playing a bit tighter you might have a higher win rate at the showdowns?

TazQ
11-23-2003, 01:20 PM
"I've played 600 hands with a win rate of 7%. Of the hands that have gone to show down I win 33%. However I'm not winning THAT much. I've only had one boat and ONE flush."

Thats like one session. Anything can happen in one session.

Webster
11-23-2003, 01:42 PM
ie - more suited connectors with 4 or more people in the game. Potand implied odds and all that!

Tighter the 18%? of hands I'm actually putting in the pot?

I'm just finding it freakishly hard to read hands at these limits.

As for the 33% win rate - I'm just getting beat by the limpers getting there middle cards and me not getting my A,K Q's

Perhaps it's just that I'm back into the game after 6 months off and forgot about the streaks.

HajiShirazu
11-23-2003, 02:44 PM
In a ten player game, winning 7% of hands is not bad at all. In fact, I would say that is only slightly below average if you are a tight player. Although, only one boat and one flush...that's no fun.
600 hands isn't much of a sample-if you are playing well, the cards will likely turn around for you eventually.
33% at showdown...yeah, you've just been getting drawn out on. Or, possibly, you're staying in too long. Keep folding when you have nothing.

SacraVia
11-23-2003, 03:07 PM
As for the 33% win rate - I'm just getting beat by the limpers getting there middle cards and me not getting my A,K Q's

This may be a leak in your game, as it is in mine. Tighten up your flop play when playing those overcards, only call if you have a draw or backdoor draw of some sort. When flop blanks your AJo and you have no possible draw, fold and cut bait. The odds are against you bluffing out the opponents and calling it down will cost you more than you could possiblly make.

Improve your win rate by minimizing mistakes...

Good luck in the future, having just went through a month and half of horrible beats - I know its frustrating. Best of Luck!

Webster
11-23-2003, 03:32 PM
SacraVia - that goes back to my origional problem - I'm NOT playing overcards and folding and I thought maybe THAT was my leak. Folding TO MUCH! LOL!
A problem most players don't think about!

Thanks for the support gang!