PDA

View Full Version : A few hands

01-09-2002, 03:28 AM
1. I flop trip eights from the big blind with a 5 kicker. The board is 8Q8 with two spaded.

I bet and get two callers.

I bet the turn when it's a blank and I fold when the button raises. He is a kindly older gentleman who has no game in him whatsoever. He even decides to show his Q8 in the hole.

2. 2 limpers, the small blind raises and he is very predictable, especially post flop. I call with AQo. Flop is rags 8 high and it's checked around, even to the very-aggressive player on the button.

Turn is a T and I bet after the small blind checks again. If he doesn't have AK I'm a monkey's uncle.

EVERYONE calls! I say, 'Well THAT didn't work!'. I notice that there's two diamonds on the board.

The river pairs the 8, no diamond. I bet and all fold. I figured at that point my hand looked a lot like a top pair that wasn't proud on the flop but had bet the turn hoping it was still good and then luckily improved on the river. I guess it worked. (also, I assume I was facing two flush draws and AK).

3. A funny one. A very weak player who sees every flop open-limped in front of me. I'm in the cutoff with KK and raise. All fold, including the limper! I've never seen someone limp and fold for one raise preflop.

4. A big mistake. I open raise with 88. One caller behind me and the big blind. Flop is QQJ. I bet, the big blind calls. Turn is a J and I give up cause I'm a whimp. Probably prudent. But the river gave me a good chance if I'd been a better hand reader.

The river pairs the Jack so the board is JJQQ9. The big blind checks. Now I'm a fool for not betting here because the only hand he can have is ace high or a pair of 9s which is now counterfeited just like my eights. He simply CANNOT have a Q or J or he would bet into me after I showed weakness on the turn. His most likely hand is a pair of 9s that he caught with a hand like T9 or 89 or even K9.

If I bet, I win. He checks, I check and he wins with K9. Dammit.

natedogg

01-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Now we see why it's time to celebrate.

Hand 1: Perfect read.

Hand 2: Perfect read.

Hand 3: R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Hand 4: You'll get it right next time and be even tougher.

01-10-2002, 12:16 AM
Hand 1: You owe that gentleman a Dinner! And a nice one too.

Hand 2: Nothing to add.

Hand 3: Same

Hand 4: If we all were just a little more clairvoyant we could be rich. if if if. iffing during play can cloud the head.

01-11-2002, 12:47 PM
natedogg,

The first two hands illustrate good poker thinking and I like the way you get right to the point with clarity.

On the third hand, I had the same thing happen to me last week and the other player also normally never folds. I guess he had total trash (I had an AK), but the funny thing is his trash would have been stronger against my hand than a dominated king or ace that he would never fold.

On the fourth hand, the nine must have come on the flop. For clarity, you also might want to write the board from left to right in an fff-t-r format with f = flop t= turn and r = river. Anyway, we all make that mistake but you won't again.

Regards,

Rick

01-12-2002, 02:52 AM
You are right. The last hand had a board of QQ9JJ in that order.

natedogg