PDA

View Full Version : Any problem playing a seemingly undisguised flush draw?

chesspain
11-22-2003, 06:36 PM
Paradise 1/2 Average table

I'm in the BB, and am dealt 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Folded to EP who calls, folded to MP who raises, folded to LP who coldcalls, CO coldcalls, folded me and I call, EP calls

7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, EP raises, LP 3-bets, folded back to me and I coldcall, EP calls

[7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, EP checks, LP bets, I and EP both call

[7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif] J /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, EP checks, LP bets, I fold, EP calls...

EP showed T /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
LP took the pot with 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I believe I played this hand properly. However, soon after this hand, a solid player with whom I had been conversing throughout asked, "spades pain?" This got me thinking that my flush draw play was fairly ABC. However, in a multiway pot, is there really anything wrong with playing ABC poker on a flush draw? Even if my opponents can figure out by my checkfold on the river that I was on a busted draw, is there really any other way to play this, especially at a low-mid level table?

Joe Tall
11-22-2003, 07:59 PM
FOLD PREFLOP!

You cold-call on the flop is what gave up your hand. Next time when someone asks you, tell them, no, I had bottom set. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peace,
JT

chesspain
11-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Are you kidding about folding this preflop? Assuming EP doesn't limp-reraise, which is highly unlikely, I'm going to get at least 8.5 : 1 to spike a four-flush. Those seem like pretty good, immediate odds to me.

P.S. When I was asked whether I was on the spade draw I responded "AA...always AA."

CrackerZack
11-22-2003, 11:57 PM
I'm not in love with the PF call, but after that its fine. actually after you bet out on the flop, it didn't looks so flushy.

CrackerZack
11-22-2003, 11:59 PM
Yeah, 8.5-1 to flop a draw that will miss 2 out of 3 times. and you're 9-1 to flop that draw and it isn't a nut draw. I'd chuck this PF unless I was drinking, then all bets are off.

Joe Tall
11-23-2003, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding about folding this preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your kidding when you ask this question, right?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to get at least 8.5 : 1 to spike a four-flush. Those seem like pretty good, immediate odds to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not to the nuts. You'll get trapped more often when you hit your Q or x card for more bets than you'll make getting th 8.5:1.

[ QUOTE ]
When I was asked whether I was on the spade draw I responded "AA...always AA."

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad, not bad at all.

Peace,
JT