PDA

View Full Version : QJs in SB

Sleepy Weasel
11-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Hopefully quick question. Just sat down at .5/1 on TGC, so no reads. QJs in the SB. Button open raises. What do you do?

rkiray
11-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Easy. Reraise.

Sleepy Weasel
11-22-2003, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Easy. Reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I figured, but can you give me a quick reasoning about why so I can apply it as a general principle? My hesitation is that I consider QJs a good drawing (multiway) hand, but not great HU. Clearly the steal attempt from the button comes into play though.

SacraVia
11-22-2003, 02:35 PM
May I ask why re-raise?

He is dominated by AA-JJ, AQ, AJ, AK, KQ, KJ, etc. regardless of suited or not. What hands does the raiser possiblly have that QJs could win with?

I say call, as its worth a half bet. But with no reads, u have to assume he is betting for value here and that he is not bluffing - and has a raiseable hand!

//edit:
Misread the post. If it has been folded to the button - then it is quite possible that it is a blind steal. Thus a reraise is warrented. However, I am not a fan of QJ suited or not - in a raised pot.

chesspain
11-22-2003, 02:51 PM
I'll round out the panel discussion and say "El Foldo," since you're going to be a dog to any pair, Ax, and Kx.

Sleepy Weasel
11-22-2003, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll round out the panel discussion and say "El Foldo," since you're going to be a dog to any pair, Ax, and Kx.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, thanks, now that I have one of each, I at least feel justified in asking the question.

rkiray
11-22-2003, 02:58 PM
There are many more hands that a decent button will try to steal with than ones that dominate yours. Since I figure the odds are he's stealing and my hand is fairly good I reraise hoping to get the BB out. This also disguises my reraises when I have a really good hand. Now if the button is a rock or appears to be a really bad player (not aware of position, probably never heard of stealing) then I would call.

chesspain
11-22-2003, 03:05 PM
Sacravia,

It's not a half-bet for SB to call--it's 1.5SB to call!

Joe Tall
11-22-2003, 05:58 PM
If you think he is on a steal, 3-bet. If you don't have any feel, fold.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall