PDA

View Full Version : Talk about a weak-tight laydown!

chesspain
11-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Last night's five-handed, 1/2 home game. The BB is an experienced player who thrives in the more "gambling" type of games like O8, triple draw highball, etc. but is capable of laying down good hands.

I'm UTG and dealt Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

I raise, MP and button fold, SB and BB call.

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me and I bet, SB folds, BB calls...hhmm...at this point, I assume that BB has a pair, but I don't know if it's a lower PP or Kx...I guess I may be in until the end...

[A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, I quickly bet, and he then throws his hand face-up on the board. He's holding K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I initially assumed that he mistakiningly thought that we were at the showdown, and then I realize when he groans that he's mucking. I say "two pair?"

He says "Yup."

I respond "That was a pretty good hand" as I scoop up the pot /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daryn
11-22-2003, 02:02 PM
very odd..

chesspain
11-22-2003, 02:12 PM
Maybe not as odd as it seems...the BB knows I am a tight-aggressive player, and that I probably would not be raising UTG unless I had a premium or near premium hand. Consequently, the way I was betting, with no fear of the board (in comparison to his oftentimes tendency to automatically checkfold a high pair to an flopped ace), he must've put me on AA, KK, or AK. But if that was the case, he shouldn't have even called my flop bet if he was going to check-fold after turning two pair.

daryn
11-22-2003, 02:30 PM
exactly my point.. what turn card was he looking for when he called the flop? if he was looking for only a K, he should fold.. and if not looking for a K , i'd say a 2 is perfect for him. i still say odd! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nottom
11-22-2003, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if he was looking for only a K, he should fold.. and if not looking for a K , i'd say a 2 is perfect for him. i still say odd!

[/ QUOTE ]

Even odder is that if he puts you on a hand that beats his 2 pair then a K is even worse than a 2.