PDA

View Full Version : kill game preflop adjustments?

exist
11-22-2003, 09:20 AM
i've been playing in an 8-16 kill game (2 wins in a row induces kill) and i was wondering how to adjust my play after i've won a single pot. clearly, steal raises become silly, but which hands should i limit myself to and in what situations? i've never come across any information on this subject, and i feel a little lost when i am playing because i have no standard starting requirements in this situation. any discussion would be much appreciated.

M.B.E.
11-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Not much is necessary by way of adjustment. The only theoretical difference is that winning a small pot would not be quite as good. If the pot is going to be big, it doesn't matter. So, as you've pointed out, don't bother stealing the blinds when you've won the last pot, although still put in raises with any legitimate raising hand. Also if you won the last pot be a little tighter from the blinds; you can fold some hands that you'd otherwise call with against a late-position raise (with no limpers).

Also there are some times when theoretically you'd raise preflop in situations where you'd otherwise call. For example, suppose there's two limpers and you have 77 in the small blind. Even if you'd ordinarily just complete, if you've won the last pot you might want to raise here, the reason being that winning a small pot is not as advantageous to you now as it would usually be: you want the pot to be bigger.

skp
11-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Hm...not sure that you want to make an incorrect play (i.e. raise with 77 in the sb) just to make it a bigger pot and thereby making posting the kill on the next hand more palatable.

A raise might be okay for an altogether different reason when you have the "leg up" against some of the kooks that you and I play against. Specifically, I have seen some guys fold earlier than they otherwise would in order to allow the "leg up" guy to win so that we can have a kill pot on the next hand...heh

Personally, I don't make very many adjustments after I have won the first hand. Of course, one should make some significant adjustments when posting the kill i.e. raise a vast majority of the time if no one else has called the bet ahead of you.

ACPlayer
11-24-2003, 09:50 PM
If winning the next pot will cost you $12 or $16 as a cost of winning this hand, then you should be playing a lot tighter. Also the pot odds should be adjusted accordingly when drawing or making calling/betting decisions post flop.

I did a simulation once on strategy for playing time pots. In a 20-40 game where the winner of a modest pot will pay $35, the only hands worth playing according to the simulation with AA, KK, QQ and AK. You could do a similar simulation using Wilson.

anatta
11-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Preflop if I have a "leg up", I tend to fold more in marginal preflop situations. After the flop, I will bluff less in small pots.

M.B.E.
11-25-2003, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If winning the next pot will cost you $12 or $16 as a cost of winning this hand, then you should be playing a lot tighter.

[/ QUOTE ]
But it doesn't really cost you that much. Sure you'll have to post a $16 kill-blind, but the money is live. It gives you some equity in the next pot (albeit less than $16 worth).

[ QUOTE ]
Also the pot odds should be adjusted accordingly when drawing or making calling/betting decisions post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, post-flop the difference will be so small as to hardly ever swing a call to a fold. Even though you'll have to post $16 if you win the next hand, you're getting something like $10 in equity from that post, so the real cost is perhaps $6.