PDA

View Full Version : Two Very Bad Players and One OK Player

Ulysses
11-22-2003, 07:15 AM
Party Poker 10/20 6max

I get [ Th, Td ] in BB.

UTG folds. Decent player (DP) raises - this could be a very wide range of hands, basically anything playable he'll open with a raise. Idiot on button calls. Tilting idiot now 3-bets from SB. This could be any two cards. I call, mainly to see if decent player will cap. Decent player and other idiot call.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 8s, 5h, 4s ]

SB bets. I raise. DP 3-bets. Button calls. SB calls. I cap. All three call.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 2c ]

SB checks. I bet. All three call.

** Dealing River ** : [ 7h ]

SB checks. I check. DP checks. Button bets. SB folds. I call. DP calls.

I think I could have done things differently on the flop (called the 3-bet planning a turn checkraise), on the turn (gone for a checkraise), and river (bet out or checkraised).

Would any of those have been better options?

lil'
11-22-2003, 10:00 AM
I played a very simliar hand with an almost identical board at the same game last night. I didn't bet the river with my overpair (I had nines, not tens). There was a bet and raise behind me, and I folded the winner. I'm still mad about it.

Ulysses
11-23-2003, 08:24 PM
I guess this wasn't very interesting.

Button had Jc7c. DP had Ad8h.

mike l.
11-23-2003, 09:00 PM
i was thinking when i read it that you should checkraise the river in case you can knock good player off a better pair. although i think you would have heard from a better hand on the turn. i tend to get too deep into thought and make these sort of weird river raises too much, and they almost never do anything except lose me an extra bet.

Diplomat
11-23-2003, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was thinking when i read it that you should checkraise the river in case you can knock good player off a better pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my first thought about the river.

[ QUOTE ]
although i think you would have heard from a better hand on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my second thought about the river.

[ QUOTE ]
i tend to get too deep into thought and make these sort of weird river raises too much, and they almost never do anything except lose me an extra bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

They often do, but with a pot this large, you really only need the DP to fold once and a while for it to make sense, provided that him folding will win you the pot.

OTOH, you probably would have heard from him on the turn if he had you beat. So if you are going to check the river, you cannot raise, because you want his call.

And betting the river sucks too, because you will gain one bet if you win (provided they call you), and loose an extra bet if you don't win. Occationally some nutter will bluff-raise the river here, but not that often.

So I like the river check/call.

-Diplomat

Ulysses
11-24-2003, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i was thinking when i read it that you should checkraise the river in case you can knock good player off a better pair. although i think you would have heard from a better hand on the turn. i tend to get too deep into thought and make these sort of weird river raises too much, and they almost never do anything except lose me an extra bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking as well (re: the checkraise, then re: the turn). But I thought that JJ was pretty much exactly the only hand better than mine that DP might have and might muck. I'm not sure I make this raise enough, but it seems like when I do I usually have the same result as you. But as Diplomat said, I don't need to get that many JJ folds to make this right. I'm still not very sure about this hand except for liking the result.