PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous river heads-up

onegymrat
11-22-2003, 04:16 AM
$8-$16 at the Bike. Fair but full table, couple of looseys and a few good players. UTG calls, as do I UTG+1 with A /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP calls, SB (average player) completes and BB checks. Five to the flop.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, folded to me, I raise. MP folds and SB calls. Two to the turn.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, I bet. SB calls.

River: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks and I check behind her. All comments appreciated.

Tyler Durden
11-22-2003, 04:47 AM
I'd fold preflop for sure. BUT, since you didn't do that, I think you played it finely.

onegymrat
11-22-2003, 12:25 PM
SB shows A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif and takes the pot.

The player to my right started a heated debate regarding my river check. He felt that a bet on the river would have caused SB to fold, which SB concurred with. I told him that the same can be said of SB, if she bet, I would have folded. My main point to him was that I felt I had a strong enough hand to showdown if she did not have a /images/graemlins/spade.gif, and her turn call suggested that she had one. Wondering what you would have done?

Rick Nebiolo
11-22-2003, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$8-$16 at the Bike. Fair but full table, couple of looseys and a few good players. UTG calls, as do I UTG+1 with A /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP calls, SB (average player) completes and BB checks. Five to the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

AT off is a clear fold in this situation (early position after one limper) in almost any type of game pre-flop. The problem is AT offsuit doesn't play well against a large field from the middle or against a small field when you are vulnerable to a raise behind. OTOH, making a play such as isolating a single weak limper in back in OK.

[ QUOTE ]
flop: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, folded to me, I raise. MP folds and SB calls. Two to the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO too aggressive in a small pot unless the SB is a maniac who auto bets. The jack hits limpers and you will run into AJ and JT all too often. Wait for better spots or be first in with the bet.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, I bet. SB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given you are here you have an easy bet after a check.

[ QUOTE ]
River: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks and I check behind her.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is the lady who originally was sitting on my right in seat one she will call with almost any pair and would have bet a decent spade. The calls with worse hands will outnumber the calls with better hands. Value bet here and expect to win when called 60% of the time.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Nebiolo
11-22-2003, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He felt that a bet on the river would have caused SB to fold, which SB concurred with.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that she "concurred with" this doesn't mean squat. After the fact players will often "concur" that they would have made the seemingly "good" play because they want to look good in front of others or for all sorts of reasons.

You should have bet more for value, she almost certainly would have called, and it would have been the right play because she will call with so many worse hands (if it is the player I'm thinking of - I was in the game earlier per my post above).

Regards,

Rick