PDA

View Full Version : Checked flop with set. Now what?

Aces McGee
11-21-2003, 11:58 PM
Apologies if this is straightforward.

Typical loose/passive .50/1.00 on Party. No real reads, as I've only been at the table for 45 minutes.

I'm dealt 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the SB.

EMP and CO call, I complete, BB checks his option. Four take the flop of:

9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I decide to check/call the flop and check/raise the turn.

But it's checked around!

Turn is 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

What's my action?

Comments on other streets appreciated, as well. Should I have raised preflop? Should I not bother with the deception on the flop?

Aces McGee

Sven
11-22-2003, 12:22 AM
I think your call in SB is good and they say with small pairs you want at least 2 callers which you have and you have a med pair /images/graemlins/smile.gif So this should assure you the implied odds if you should flop a set which you did /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would have bet the flop and reraised any raises and being it was check all around I would bet the turn!

Sven
11-22-2003, 12:30 AM
That at Low Limits you do not wanna slow play your trips and give away free cards to the draws!! If there drawing you must make them pay dearly for it! You also said you didn't have any real reads with that said I know I would not be slowing playing at all. It's been said at low limits you wanna play ABC poker and no fancy plays I'm a firm believer of that!!!!!

Aces McGee
11-22-2003, 12:40 AM
Hi Sven

I appreciate your advice, though your exclamation points are a little much for me. Just one will suffice, when appropriate.

I wasn't worried about giving draws free cards, because the board is reasonably uncoordinated.

The big mistake I made is not recognizing that since all rags came on the flop, it's unlikely it hit anyone, and therefore they are unlikely to bet it at all. But they quite often will call my bet with just overcards.

Aces McGee

Sven
11-22-2003, 12:47 AM
I'm sorry if I offened you with the exclamation points /images/graemlins/frown.gif I didn't mean anything by them trust me /images/graemlins/smile.gif I agree with you on the rags on the flop /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aces McGee
11-22-2003, 12:50 AM
Just having some fun with you, Sven. Thanks for taking the time to answer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gomez22
11-22-2003, 12:55 AM
Bet the turn, if raised, 3-bet, if it's capped, and no scare cards come on the river, bet out and call a raise.....

Sven
11-22-2003, 12:55 AM
Just tryin to do my part and pass some of the good info that was passed on to me /images/graemlins/smile.gif but you have posted 3 times as much as me /images/graemlins/smile.gif I had better get busy /images/graemlins/smile.gif Mike

Yeknom58
11-22-2003, 01:02 AM
I would have bet the flop and CR the turn.

After it got checked through I would definitely bet the turn.