PDA

View Full Version : How do you play pocket nines?

over_c
11-21-2003, 08:50 PM
No-limit rookie here.

I have been doing ok playing the $.10/$.25 no-limit game on UB, but I have no idea how to play nines.

Do I play them like a small pocket pair and hope for the set, or do I play them more strongly pre-flop?

Also, what sort of post-flop strategy would I use? Without overcards this is a strong hand, but how do I play my pocket nines if I see an overcard or two?

Thanks.

Lunamondo
11-21-2003, 10:40 PM
The odds of flopping an overpair or a set with pocket tens is 31% (according to me), making it a real hand (one flops a pair or better with slick hands 1/3 of the time). Those odds for pocket nines are 21%, and 37% for a set or a second pair, meaning that basically 99 (and marginally 88) is a real hand only three ways at best, as a second pair can still be a real hand. That's it basically at limit poker.

While big bet poker has many other thing to consider, like it being more expensive from the implied point of view to push middle size pairs, and secondly one might make a lot of money with a set, especially that high, in case big multiway pots are preferable, a bit raised ones as long as it doesn't induce a reraise (that it rates to do). Shorthanded 99 might be ok at big bet poker also, as it does ok against aces lower than AT, being a big dog only against TT-AA.

turnipmonster
11-22-2003, 12:11 PM
note: I am somewhat new to big bet poker as well

you are hoping to flop a set here, even if you have an overpair if you get significant action you can be behind to a straight (5 cards smaller than a 9 make a straight pretty likely) or a higher pocket pair.

I generally raise a standard amount (2 or3x the big blind) and I would raise with 99, so my opponents are guessing (if they're paying attention at all). 99 is one of those hands I like to get cute with if I hit an overpair on the flop. if I checkraise and get called, however, I am done with the hand.

--turnipmonster

Al_Capone_Junior
11-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Simple.

Play them like a small pair unless you're first in from late position, then try to steal with them. The problem is if you make a big raise with them, you're only going to get action either when you're beat, or when you are only a small favorite. Just like tens and sometimes jacks.

I will occasionally make a big move with them A) in a tourney, when I am short stacked or it is short-handed, or B) when a total maniac keeps raising preflop and I feel it's time to put his lyin' ass to the test.

Post flop, if you miss, you really gonna put even MORE money in the pot as a 23:1 dog?

al