PDA

View Full Version : Didn't see this one coming

Pat C
11-21-2003, 08:03 PM
First hand at the start of new 4/8 game; I draw the small blind. I hold KK and call 3 limpers with large blind checking; 5 to the flop. I know I could have raised but the majority of the time limpers at this B & M will just call one more bet; I figured I would gain more from hiding a big hand. Flop comes 9,4,2 rainbow. I check, all check around to last position who bets. I raise, all fold around to original raiser who calls. I figure at this point if he has flopped a set he'd let me know by reraising. I put him on top pair, open ended straight, or over cards betting his position. Turn comes an 8, he bets out and I reluctantly call thinking there is the possibility he has just made two pair. (I know nothing about this player since its the first hand the table has played) River comes a 2, thinking he likely was holding 8 9, I bet out my two pair. He raised, and I called mostly out of curiousity...I was really puzzled at this point. He flipped over pocket 2's for quads. Besides raising preflop, does anyone think there was something different I should have done? I should have added there was no flush possibility.

tj00
11-21-2003, 08:08 PM
I will skip the pre-flop. I can't do it you have to raise all those weak limpers. On the turn you have the action as the button betting out and you calling. Did you check the turn?

astroglide
11-21-2003, 08:10 PM
you expect to make MORE than 2 big bets solely because you limped preflop? not raising is bad poker.

lil'
11-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Not raising pre-flop is a HUGE mistake.

Would it have changed the result? No, but it's still a huge mistake.

Pat C
11-21-2003, 08:15 PM
sorry, i got the sequence wrong....i bet out on the turn and he raised....that is why i thought he may have caught the two pair with the 8... I didn't believe he caught a set on the flop due to his action.

rkiray
11-21-2003, 08:22 PM
It would have changed one thing, he would have lost more money. He still should have done it.

Pat C
11-21-2003, 08:29 PM
ok, i got the pre-flop, yes i should have raised...but doesn't anyone think the turn call and betting out on the river was out of line? is there anything here that should have at least signalled a set after the late position only called my check raise on the flop? (afterwards he told me he was slow playing his set because he knew i'd be the aggressor)

tj00
11-21-2003, 08:40 PM
I would have check called on the river after he raised the turn.

ThingDo
11-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Betting the river here doesn't really help unless he'll check behind with a lesser two pair... and there is no way he can put you on an overpair because you didn't raise PF. He either has a set and filled up on the river, or he'll bet his 89. After being raised on the flop, bet into on the turn, and now bet into on the river if he has 89 he's likely not going to raise and he'll bet it if you check to him.