PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 9's from the button (Another OIC hand)

Gomez22
11-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
Gomez22 has 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif and is Button

EP1 folds, MP3 raises, Gomez22 calls, SB folds, BB calls

Flop(6 SB): J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, MP3 checks, Gomez22 bets, BB calls, MP3 folds

Turn(4 BB): 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, Gomez22 bets, BB calls

River(6 BB): 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, Gomez22 bets, BB folds

FYI: I cold-called this prepared to dump if no set on the flop, and MP3 was another "In Bluffs We Trust" sort of character, plus I had position on him; if this was a respectable raiser, would it be correct to fold here or 3-bet?. When it was checked around to me, I thought I had the best hand....... Thoughts?

bisonbison
11-21-2003, 08:04 PM
When MP3 (AK, AQ?) checks, I think you're flop bet is good, if he raises you can get out of there. Once he's gone, with a J overcard that produced no action, I think you're safe to charge whatever BB is drawing to.

lil'
11-21-2003, 08:23 PM
This is a 3 bet or fold situaion. Cold calling is no good. Why are you trying to flop a set getting like less than 2 to 1 on your call?

Gomez22
11-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Actually, I called because I still have no real idea of when the situation is fold/raise.....????? I hear alot of talk about it's a "fold or raise" situation, but can't seem to identify them very well.

Sarge85
11-21-2003, 08:43 PM
With the button, I'd suspect you'd want to re-raise here.

After the flop checks good lead...

lil'
11-21-2003, 08:48 PM
Calling looking for the set is wrong, because you have no odds to draw to it, as I mentioned before. Again, cold calling encourages more cold calling, and your nines will not hold up multiway most of the time.

Raising especially good if the raiser is loose, as he was in this case. You get the hand heads up where your nines stand a good chance of holding up.

Folding is good if the raiser is tight.

The nines play best in a very small field or a very large one where you have odds to flop a set. Calling produces neither scenario, hence it is a "raise or fold" situation.