PDA

View Full Version : raising flush draws?

MrG
11-21-2003, 07:05 PM
.5/1 Party

I am in EP with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG calls, I call, fold, fold, LP raises, Co and button fold, blinds call, and UTG and I call.

I usually only play K2s from the Button but was mixing up my play a bit.

FLOP:
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Great!
Sb checks, BB bets, UTG calls, I call, LP raises, blinds and UTG call, and now I say "hell I got the best drawing hand and the pot is big", I raise. Mistake?
Everyone calls my raise.
TURN:
7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Check to the LP who bets, all call, I check raise, we lose the BB, the rest call
River:
8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked all the way around, but I would have folded to a bet since the flush didn't hit.

I trying to add raising flush draws to my game but am unsure of when to do it. All comments appreciated. -MrG

TheRake
11-21-2003, 07:13 PM
This is pretty loose in EP with K2s. I would have folded pre-flop. I like the re-raise on the flop. I bet out on the turn..not sure why you check raise.

Just my $.02

TheRake

crockpot
11-21-2003, 07:21 PM
I usually only play K2s from the Button but was mixing up my play a bit.

no, you were either on tilt or playing the hand out of boredom. if you honestly think you need to mix up your play at party .50/1, you are giving your opponents way too much credit. besides, if you are willing to give up EV to confuse your opponents, you should be raising, not limping.

i think your flop raise is fine because you're less than a 2:1 dog to make the nut flush, and you can expect four callers. but why raise the turn? you're not going to get everyone out, and you are now a 4:1 dog to win, since a king is very unlikely to give you the best hand.

raising flush draws is best done only on the flop, unless you are in a game where you may win the pot with a semi-bluff raise (and don't try to find one at .50/1, because there are none). do it when most of these conditions apply:

- you expect more than two callers (since you are a 2:1 dog)
- you're hitting to the nut flush, or at least a very high one
- you're in late position, so you may get a free card on the turn if everyone checks to you
- you have overcards, giving you additional outs to top pair
- the chances of the initial player three-betting it are small

and don't mix up your play at .50/1. if you want to go to a game where the opponents will notice this sort of play, don't play anything lower than 3/6 or 5/10.

MrG
11-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Crock
Thank you, and you are right I am as we speak ON TILT.
Just had AK twice in a row (back to back hands no less)cracked. The last time by QQ who on a AXX flop where we capped everything head to head and a Q dropped on the river. Just hit a AA hand with 4 to a ST8 on the board if that didn't stick I was gonna call it a night. Thanks again, knew I was wrong on the K2 EP and almost didn't post because it was so stupid but I was really curious about the flop raise and what to do on the turn. -MrG

Qui-Gon
11-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Hmm, I'm no expert at this but I would never call with Kxs suited from early position. If I wanted to mix up my play I would call with something like 76s, can't remember the last time i did though...

Your raise on the flop is a value-raise as I see it. But you are risking a reraise from LP, that might force some players to fold. I would just have called.

The turn-raise is bad IMO. The odds of nailing your flush is about 4,1:1 and even if everyone calls your raise (which they didn't) you only get 4 bets for your 1. Again your risking reraise from LP.

I raise with flushdraws only from late position on the flop when the bet came from someone in early position, for value and possible free card on the turn.

With only 1 or maybe 2 players against me I might bet out with it if I'm first to act, as a semibluff. It depends on the board though.

I'm sure others will have more advice for you.

Sarge85
11-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Easy Fold Pre-flop.... (even on the button, K2s not so hot without plenty of callers)

Flop - ok to lead out to build the pot

Turn - Why? you have no other part of this hand. If the 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif was a King maybe you could do this - if you thought no one had an ace??