PDA

View Full Version : how to play conservative player head-to-head?

toby
11-21-2003, 06:22 PM
If you are facing a ridiculously conservative player head to head, what is the best strategy? I steal a lot of blinds, but when I am called I'm usually a huge underdog to win it, and losing those bets roughly equals the blinds stolen and we break even.

I'm in this situation with a friend of mine. I am so sick of his incessant folding (and when he wins a big hand, he calls his 30 minutes and folds until he can leave with his profit).

I realize the best strategy would just be to not play him head-to-head because it's so boring, but that's not really an option for me.

What would you recommend?

Thanks,

-Toby

crockpot
11-21-2003, 06:29 PM
I realize the best strategy would just be to not play him head-to-head because it's so boring, but that's not really an option for me.

total nonsense! i would rather face an ultra-conservative player heads-up than anyone else. the reason is that you need to call a lot in order to prevent your opponent from showing a profit by betting automatically.

your basic strategy should be:

- raise preflop on virtually every hand, especially when you are first to act
- bet whenever he shows the slightest bit of weakness
- when he calls, shut off unless you have a hand that is likely to beat most of the hands he would be calling with

if you just follow these, you will show a good profit in the long run. my guess is that you aren't winning because you aren't getting out of the way when he finally gets a hand, or your luck is poor.