PDA

View Full Version : Howard Lederer vs. Chip Jett: how would you play Chip's hand?

Robk
11-21-2003, 05:23 PM
I'll keep Howard's hand a secret, but this was from the PPM II so lots of you guys might know it anyway. The blinds were a 2/3 structure, with the SB on the button. Chip raised on the button with AQo. Howard made it 3 bets from the BB, and Chip called. The flop was J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, the turn was the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif, and the river was the 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Howard bet and Chip called on every street. Any comments on his play? Would you release the hand anywhere? Would you be more aggressive (preflop or post?)

daryn
11-21-2003, 09:54 PM
it seems like just calling it down is weak. howard takes control by 3 betting preflop, and then just bets all the way, and what else would he do really?? chip should either fold this somewhere or pop howard on the flop or turn

turnipmonster
11-22-2003, 05:05 PM
isn't chip's style basically letting the other person take control and trapping them?

--turnipmonster

Brian
11-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Hi Turnip,

I am not sure what Chip's style is for heads-up, but he was definitely the aggressor at the final table, and apparently not just because he was the chip leader. The commentators made quite a few remarks about how he often either busts or does well in a tournament because he is so aggressive.

-Brian

daryn
11-24-2003, 04:30 PM
i don't know anything about chip's style really

Robk
11-24-2003, 04:45 PM
I agree with Daryn's feelings on this one, although I'm not so sure I agree with his solution. IMO the root of the problem is in the preflop play. With position and AQ, I'm capping this sucker every time. Even though my hand isn't the greatest against his range of 3 betting hands, the cap gives you all types of leverage after the flop (letting you sometimes save a few bets, but also letting you put pressure on the best hand if the flop is scary for it). I don't like popping good players here postflop because
1. They're capable of playing back and keeping the heat on you with inferior hands
2. The pot is very large and you'll get called down by basically any pair.
3. If he is bluffing you don't want him to stop

Anyway Howard held 66 and dragged a nice pot. I just thought it was an amateurish mistake from Chip, who is by most accounts an excellent player.