PDA

View Full Version : How do you play this?

wayabvpar
11-21-2003, 04:46 PM
This was quite an interesting hand- Please tell me how you would play it (I certainly overplayed it).

Stars Multitable tournament ($3 buyin) Level 8- Blinds 200/400, ante 25. I am in the BB with a stack of T5285 (about average for the table)
I am dealt 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Fold to UTG +1 (stack T6700), who limps in for 400.
Fold to SB (T12227, table chip leader), who completes.
I check.

Flop - 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks. I bet 800, figuring this flop probably missed these guys. UTG+1 calls, SB folds.

Turn- T /images/graemlins/club.gif

Flush is on the board, as is a straight. I bet out 1200, hoping for a fold or reraise so I can be done with this hand. UTG +1 calls. What can he have here that gets him to call, but not raise?

River- 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Well. My baby straight hit. I am overly invested in this pot already, let's find out if it is worth anything. I go all in for 2860. UTG +1 calls.

What does UTG+1 have? Feel free to tell me how poorly I played the hand; I am here to learn! Just be nice when you bash me /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Che
11-21-2003, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flush is on the board, as is a straight. I bet out 1200, hoping for a fold or reraise so I can be done with this hand. UTG +1 calls. What can he have here that gets him to call, but not raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a $3 tourney: anything.

Seriously, if the opponent has Ax /images/graemlins/club.gif, his nut flush is pretty safe. If the board does not pair, he's got the nuts (unless you had exactly 89 /images/graemlins/club.gif). He knows you'll fold if he goes over the top, so he calls and hopes you'll bluff at him on the river. I would not push in on the river for this reason.

You're down to less than 3000 and the pot is over 5000, so I'm not sure what I would do since we have no read on the opponent. I might check and fold to an allin but call a small bet since he may have called on the turn with something like A /images/graemlins/club.gif and a red K, thus missing his draw. I might make a small bet for value and fold if he goes over the top, but I don't like this as much against most opponents since I will often be putting in extra chips just in time to fold the best hand.

Actually, now that I look again he may have been slowplaying a flopped straight and the 3rd club scared him (thus the turn call). Now you may actually get the better hand to fold, thinking you do have the flush.

Anyway, I hope he called you allin with something ridiculous like A /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif...

wayabvpar
11-25-2003, 07:22 PM
UTG +1 showed pocket 7s for a flopped set, and bitched and whined about my suckout for 15 minutes afterwards. Certainly I overplayed my hand...does anyone like how he played the set?

Che
11-26-2003, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG +1 showed pocket 7s for a flopped set, and bitched and whined about my suckout for 15 minutes afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's he whining about besides his own mistakes?

Lessons for UTG+1:

1. When the blinds are big, don't limp. You're just begging a hand like 24 to outdraw you. He probably would have had a pot of ~800 uncontested if he made a normal open raise here (and he probably would have done even better if SB had called the raise).
2. If you do limp and the flop is very BB friendly like this one, raise the BB to see if he's serious or get out. Why give free cards with straight and flush draws out there? I guess he wanted to hit his boat before making a big move, which might be the best move actually (maybe one of the better players can rule on this), but I don't like the way he played it.