PDA

View Full Version : The Key to hold 'em is the play on the turn

amby
11-21-2003, 03:45 PM
I want some opinions as to when people think that the majority of money made by poker players is on the turn. I believe this totally, but want some feedback.

ZeeJustin
11-21-2003, 04:11 PM
This post is ambiguous. Do you mean the turn is the hardest street to play?

If you only knew how to play 1 street properly, I think it is fairly obvious that preflop would be the most important. You can be the best player in the world after the flop, but if you see 50% of the flops, you won't be a winner.

amby
11-21-2003, 04:21 PM
I think that what I mean is that the most successful hold 'em players are ones that can make a lot of money and limit the loss of money on the turn. Sure the pre flop play is important but the bigger strategy of the whole hand really comes out on the turn, whether the player is going to semi-bluff, check-raise, reraise. This is what I mean, a good player knows that to really profit on a hand or to steal a hand, this takes place on the turn and on the flop nor the river.

daryn
11-21-2003, 11:34 PM
to say preflop play is most important would be flat wrong

ZeeJustin
11-22-2003, 12:00 AM
I stand by what I said. It's simple really. You have at least 1 preflop decision to make in 100% of your hands. You should only have a flop decision to make in about 20% of your hands. Unless each post-flop decision is 5 times more important than each pre-flop decision, preflop play is more important.

Tyler Durden
11-22-2003, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I stand by what I said. It's simple really. You have at least 1 preflop decision to make in 100% of your hands. You should only have a flop decision to make in about 20% of your hands. Unless each post-flop decision is 5 times more important than each pre-flop decision, preflop play is more important.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be a good poker player one must employ a strong understanding of logic and if this is the line of thinking you use at the tables, I want to play with you 24/7. But no offense. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tyler Durden
11-22-2003, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can be the best player in the world after the flop, but if you see 50% of the flops, you won't be a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the exact opposite is true. If you play perfectly preflop and badly after the flop, you won't be a winner. Rather, you'll be a loser.

andyfox
11-22-2003, 03:32 AM
The turn is definitely what separates the men from the boys (and the woman from the girls). I am in agreement that it's the most important street. But the river is what separates the truly great players from the almost great and the pretty good.

NLfool
11-22-2003, 03:57 AM
in low limits preflop is most important in mid and high limits I think the turn is the most important if you call a raise or checkraise on the the turn you're basically going be heads up glued to call the river heads up. If you make a good fold here you save 2 big bets and if you make a good read that your hand is good you gain lots of bets. The river decision is almost automatic here in limit an NL. In the NL I agree with Doyle that the big money decisions come on the flop and thus the turn and or river is usually auto.

andyfox
11-22-2003, 04:05 AM
The pre-flop decisions are usually very easy. The post-flop decisions are much mroe complicated.

Someone who plays badly pre-flop will lose. Someone who plays well pre-flop may still lose; in fact, many do. Someone who plays poorly post-flop, no matter how well they play pre-flop, will loose. Someone who plays well post-flop, even if he plays slightly sub-par pre-flop, will win.