PDA

View Full Version : CO with flopped set

Saborion
11-21-2003, 03:44 PM
1/2. Loose passive. 8-handed.

I`m dealt 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the CO.
EP1 limp, MP2 limp, I limp, button limp, SB complete and BB check.
6 to the flop.

[6 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 3 BB.
EP1 bet, MP2 call, I raise, button call, EP1 call, MP2 call.
4 to the turn.

3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [6 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 7 BB.
Checked to me, I bet and they all call.
4 to the river.

8 /images/graemlins/club.gif [3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 10.5 BB.
Checked to me, I bet, EP1 call, MP2 call.

The question is, should I have waited to the turn with the raise? With a flop that looks like this, it feels as though I should`ve waited with the raise. When is it not a good idea to wait until the turn to raise?

rkiray
11-21-2003, 06:37 PM
I probably would have raised pf to try to buy the button. I generally mix up raising now or raising turn. With these guys looking like pure calling stations, the turn is probably better. You normally can only get one raise, so wait for the big bet since it appears these guys will call regardless.

crockpot
11-21-2003, 06:46 PM
it's a miracle! someone out there actually knows not to raise with nines in this situation preflop.

the decision to raise or call is actually a pretty close play here. ideally you would make an additional three bets by waiting until the turn to raise, but there are a lot of flies in the ointment. EP1 may not bet the turn, or the button/blinds may fold for a cold raise on the turn when they would have called a flop raise and a turn bet. additionally, if anyone was intending to play top pair aggressively, they are much more likely to do so on the flop than the turn, because a turn raise is such a power move. add all these factors together, and i would probably play it the same way you did.