PDA

View Full Version : Flopping a set--Redux

chesspain
11-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Party .5/1 Weak-passive table

I'm in the SB and dealt 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

EP1, EP2, and MP1 all call, folded around to me and I call, BB checks

A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, folded to EP2 who calls, MP folds

[A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif] K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, EP2 raises, I 3-bet, he calls.

[A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif] T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he calls

What do you think my opponent had? And was my continuous aggression justified? Results below...
He showed K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif for the turned, higher set /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Given his lack of a PF raise, I thought he was raising on the turn with two-pair, especially since I have often seen people just limp PF with AK. Oh well /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

lil'
11-21-2003, 02:25 PM
Ouch, tough one. I think you did OK. When things like this happen, I tell myself the best hand won and move on.

chesspain
11-21-2003, 02:31 PM
I pretty much chuckled when I saw his hand. I have to believe that it was +EV to 3-bet the river, even with the possible straight, given the likelihood that I was up against only two-pair.

slavic
11-21-2003, 02:34 PM
I'd buy a coke and some CrackerJacks with the $2 he saved you and throw a party.

chesspain
11-21-2003, 02:41 PM
Less than thirty minutes later, on a Paradise 1/2 table, I flopped a set of eights in a family pot on an A-high, two-suited board and lost to a TT who turned a higher set (and didn't raise PF). I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come, since I have a home game tonight! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

el_grande
11-21-2003, 03:20 PM
A sidenote: I have found lately that on the passive Party tables, people don't raise much with two-pair.

This can be painful when you are simply betting top pair to the river, and then surprise!