PDA

View Full Version : Looking at my 2001 results...

01-03-2002, 10:38 AM
2001 is the first year that I recorded my results. I have had good years since 1997 but I wanted to know where I stood statistically and so I kept notes on my sessions.

In a recent post, I alluded to a strategy that I use during a losing streak. One of the respondents pointed out that the wording I used suggested that I was superstitious about luck and played accordingly. This prompted me to clarify my interpretation of a "losing streak" which I'm posting again here...

My definition of a losing streak results from a personal interpretation of my records. If my records are showing a fluctuation range that is stagnant over a couple of weeks, I begin to feel negative about my results. The period is usually pronounced by a quick downturn of 100-200 BB followed by a slow struggle up over a period of several sessions which is then marked by another significant drop followed by several up sessions. This will go on for several weeks and I usually think of it in negative terms i.e. a "losing period". I can also "feel" it by the number of my premium hands that are busted. Things are just not holding up. There may be a couple of short "come back" days, but the bigger picture looks vapid.

A winning period occurs when I break out out of this "range" and reach a new plateau. This general trend upwards usually lasts much longer and my hands seem to hit the flop more etc. It is during these periods that I'm playing every angle and maximizing my profits. I interpret these periods (from an observational point of view) as a 'winning period'

I had three plateau experiences in 2001. The shortest lasted 4 weeks, the longest was 6 1/2 weeks. It is very frustrating being stuck in this plateau. Each of the plateaus began with a sharp downturn of 150 or more BB over 2 or 3 days. I would then climb back up in several sessions only to drop back down. It was a seesawing effect that occurred repetitively over the weeks that was frustrating. Within this period there were many winning sessions, and a few big losing sessions. Still, I interpret the overall experience as a "losing streak".

I am curious about other players who record their results. Are these plateaus common? Do they typically last 4-6 weeks?

When the bankroll is growing, I have a strong feeling about my game. The opposite is true when it is stationary.

I would love to hear feedback from those who keep accurate records of their sessions...

All the best for 2002!

01-03-2002, 06:14 PM
Just a short post to say my 2001 results are very similar to yours, I finished the year down and I'm sort of pissed about it. Also, my winning sessions are not as big as my losing ones. I think the seesawing we experience is from not playing tight enough all the time.