PDA

View Full Version : Bad preflop call (I think)

MRBAA
11-21-2003, 12:55 PM
A-7s in MP, loose game, fairly aggressive. One limper to me, I limp. It's raised and reraised behind me, blinds both call, early limper calls. It comes back to me for two more bets. With five in (safe to assume the first raiser will at least call), and getting 6.5-1 on calling $8 more, I call. I think this was a mistake, as I'm a dog to make my flush and against this many players that's probably pretty much my only out (except for two 7s flopping or a low straight to the seven). Should have folded, right?

WDC
11-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Calling two cold is not something I would make a habit, but if the game texture was such (loose and passive post flop) that at least three would be calling to the river if you hit it may be worth the call. Also, if you have a tight image you may just want to call to show A-7 once in a while to help in future hands.

MRBAA
11-21-2003, 01:49 PM
To clarify, with one limper already in I think my call with A-7s is marginal. Many pots were unraised, which is what I really want. But it might be better to just fold, and save this call for late position.

But, once it's raised and reraised behind me, though, I think hitting my A is ng. I'll need the flush most times, and simply won't flop two to it often enough.

lil'
11-21-2003, 03:55 PM
You say the game is aggressive, so I don't even limp in for one bet in MP after one early limper.

Bob T.
11-21-2003, 03:57 PM
I agree, folding is better, even though you are getting 6.5 to 1 on the call now, you don't have a guarantee that you won't have to put in another bet preflop. I wouldn't call two cold on the button in a multiway pot with this hand, and that is the equivalent of what you are doing here, except the pot is going to be 4 or 5 handed, so there won't be as many players left to recover your investment from.

MRBAA
11-21-2003, 04:26 PM
Yep -- got to pick your spots both to call one and certainly to call two more with A-xs -- and this was probably bad for doing either one (let alone both!)