PDA

View Full Version : defending blind with J4s

george w of poker
11-21-2003, 12:50 PM
I don't know much about defending my blinds so i'm posting this hand as an example of how i might play it. mainly i don't know what hands to defend with and how to play if i hit or miss the flop.

party 2/4, slightly tight for these games

i'm in the big blind with J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

button open raises, sb folds, I call.

i don't have any kind of read on the button but this smells like a steal attempt

flop: 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
i check raise, he calls

turn: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
i bet, he calls

river: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
i bet, he calls

slavic
11-21-2003, 12:53 PM
Seems right to me. Top pair heads up is normally a really good hand. 2nd pair being good and even 3rd pair has decent value.

WDC
11-21-2003, 01:07 PM
I think yopu have to be pretty sure that Button is capeable of stealing with mediocre cardsto make this call. Once made, I think you played the hand well. My guess is that button had a mid pocket pair that he could not release.

Yeknom58
11-21-2003, 01:41 PM
With J4s I'm probably going to throw it away even if I knew he was stealing. But if I was going to defend in this spot with this particular hand I would rather 3-bet than call. Then bet out on the flop. The old steal, re-steal move.

You played if well after that.

LetsRock
11-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Personally, I wouldn't care if it was a steal. Muck it and move on the next hand. But that's just me.