PDA

View Full Version : Flopping a set

josie_wales
11-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Ok, finally got the hand converter to work and here is a hand I was recently in....Feedback is appreciated.

Party Poker 1/2 (9 handed)
Hero has 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif and is Button

UTG limps, EP1 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, CO(poster) checks, Hero limps, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(8 SB): 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero bets, SB folds, BB calls, UTG raises, EP1 3-bets, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG caps, EP1 calls, Hero calls

Turn(10 1/2 BB): 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG bets, EP1 calls, Hero raises, UTG 3-bets, EP1 calls, Hero calls

River(19 1/2 BB): T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG bets, EP1 folds, Hero raises, UTG 3-bets, Hero calls

What do you think?

lil'
11-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Capping the flop will give you a better idea of where you stand on the turn. There's also an excellent chance you are ahead on the flop.

jedi
11-21-2003, 01:26 PM
I also would have capped the flop. The check-raise/check-reraise would normally scare me off, probably unjustified. I think EP1 was on a flush draw and UTG had 2 pair, with an outside shot at a set of 7s. And if he made a straight with something like A9 from early position, then caught runner-runner, then good for him and put him on your buddy list.

josie_wales
11-21-2003, 01:32 PM
He fliped over 77 for the trip 7s and took it down. I understand what you are all saying about the capping of the flop. I guess I wanted everyone else to think that they were in control (which one of them was). I think that if I capped the flop, he wouldnt have folded. And if the situation were different, and he did not have the 777, then my capping may have scared him off his two pair and I wouldnt have been able to get more money into the pot later.
Does this make any sense?

rkiray
11-21-2003, 01:34 PM
I'd cap the flop and turn but just call the river. He could have made his straigth on the turn, but I don't think many people will bet a gutshot that strong. On the river when any 9 beats you, I'd slow down.

Hellrazor
11-21-2003, 01:45 PM
But I did had the set of 7's /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Josie - two comments one about the hand - I would have capped in your position - it would have given me pause on capping on all other streets.

Second - no offense intended - but the comments about whatever that fishes name about never folding.. not knowing where the fold button was - VERY uncool. I don't know were just blowing off steam over the 25 BB loss on the hand above - but having ppl who want to hit that call any button is all good - don't chase them off or try and make them feel stupid.

-Hellrazor13

Lastly - does anyone want to analyze my play of the hand here? (UTG with 77)

josie_wales
11-21-2003, 01:54 PM
TY hellrazor...Sorry if I made a comment bout the calling there...I dont recall that, just the 777 /images/graemlins/smile.gif And ty for the advice on the cap
jw

cold_cash
11-21-2003, 02:18 PM
I think I might have been at this table for awhile but I'm not sure. Twice yesterday I was in a great game, only to have a "poker coach" berating all the players at the table and telling them how stupid they were for doing such and such.

I'll never quite understand this.

Nottom
11-21-2003, 02:46 PM
I don't understand why you raised the river after calling the turn 3-bet. Even if there wasn't a 4-straight on the board, this doesn't make any sence to me.

Nottom
11-21-2003, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lastly - does anyone want to analyze my play of the hand here? (UTG with 77)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the river 3-bet. The way he played his hand this could easily be 99.

Deuce Kicker
11-21-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody at a micro-limit table 3-bet on a draw. They'll make it two bets or call three, but if raised they'll just call and defer to you in later rounds--unless they're plain bluffing.

Given that there was no pre-flop raising, I'd eliminate the set of kings (though I'm amazed at how many times I see AA and KK limped) and figure UTG for 777 or maybe bottom two pair (top two if you don't already know he's a 2+2er /images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Therefore, you are very likely NOT in control, having bottom set. After capping the flop and they came right back out and bet the turn, I'd back off and call the rest of the way.

Gomez22
11-21-2003, 11:54 PM
I've seen lots of players 3-bet a four flush on the flop at micro-limits...... and I shake my head and wonder why every time.....

Nottom
11-22-2003, 01:57 AM
3-betting a four flush is nearly always correct at your average micro-limit table.

Gomez22
11-22-2003, 02:02 AM
Are we talking about the number of callers you can get to go with you? Because I've seen it done HU a few times, also. I can see 3-betting to trap, but I can't see it done when it chases players out... and this is when the head shaking starts.

Nottom
11-22-2003, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can see 3-betting to trap, but I can't see it done when it chases players out... and this is when the head shaking starts.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have overcards to the board you are often happy to have people fold and clean up your outs. For example in this hand if someone 3-bet a raise with As9s he will not only get a better A to fold, but may even get a weak K to fold as well. More importantly, you are rarely not getting value for a raise in a micro-limit game since it will often be 3 or more players to the turn and can take a free card on the turn if you have position. Obviously heads-up its often a mistake, as well as against a passive player who would only raise with a big hand, but more often than not it is correct in these games.

Hellrazor
11-22-2003, 08:20 PM
Hmmm, I completely missed this but it makes perfect sense. Hopefully by the time I get to Pooh-Bah I'll see this.

I had him on K6s when I was in the hand.