PDA

View Full Version : Overcard hand for review

JeffO
11-21-2003, 11:55 AM
I'm UTG +2 and dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG open limps, I call, MP calls, LP calls, SB calls, BB checks, 6 see the flop [8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, I check, MP bets, LP calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG folds and I fold.

1) was this a good fold with both a straight and flush draws on the board?

2) If the flop was a rainbow could I have called since there's no one behind me to raise? Even with a straight draw on board.

3) If the flop were 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (no straight or flush draws could I have called?)

Homer
11-21-2003, 12:03 PM
Preflop - Raise with AQo.

Flop - Don't bet. You can't be confident that you have the best hand, you have no chance to take down the pot immediately, and a bet from you is likely to be raised (which means if you are going to continue with the hand you should check-call). Don't call. Getting 9:1 with your call closing the action isn't enough to call with overcards that completing missed a 875tt flop (I've decided that I'm tired of writing two-tone, so I'm going to write "tt" for now on). So, you're left with check-folding.

1) was this a good fold with both a straight and flush draws on the board?

Absolutely!

2) If the flop was a rainbow could I have called since there's no one behind me to raise? Even with a straight draw on board.

I'd still want more than 9:1 to call, even with my call closing the action. This does make it closer, though.

3) If the flop were 279r (no straight or flush draws could I have called?)

Yes. In this case, your overcards are much more likely to be clean outs.

-- Homer

lil'
11-21-2003, 12:16 PM
Raise pre-flop. It changes the entire complexion of the hand.

This flop is bad enough to give up. No need to bet. The time to get the money in the pot was pre-flop, not now when you are very likely losing and possibly drawing thin.

Aces McGee
11-21-2003, 12:22 PM
Hi JeffO

Homer and lil have given you good answers to your questions. I just want to add that if you do raise preflop in this case, it is often proper to bet this flop, even though it's somewhat coordinated.

Aces McGee

ZeeJustin
11-21-2003, 12:24 PM
I agree w/ Homer on this.