PDA

View Full Version : Final Table Decision - Multi-table NL-Hold'em

Joe Tall
11-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Gaming Club $10+1 - 107 entrants top 10 pay, we are down to 9 players.

I am in the 4th chip position w/15200 (and I would like to thank everyone who responded to my posts yesterday, I couldn't have been here without your responses). The 2 top chip leaders are 20,500, and 19,800 then the field drops down to 10,000 after me.

The 3rd chip position is on my left in the BB w/16000 (or so).

Blinds are 500/1000.

All fold to me in the SB w/A /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and I make it 3000.

The BB raises to 6000 and I call.

The flop is:

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif

What's my action?

Comments on all streets are begged for!! I'm looking to learn more and more and felt I played very well last night.

Thank you in advance,
Joe Tall

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Exactly the kind of hand I hate to see in the SB.

What's the payout structure? How aggressive have you been up until this point? What's your feeling on the BB? Would he reraise with a middle pair? If he has A9, will he lay it down to an all-in bet?

Absent any solid read that he's willing to make this reraise with less than A7 (and that's pushing it because I don't like any hand he'd do this with that has a K in it), I'd likely check here. The downside of that is that he'll likely assume a check means you don't have an A and bet whether or not he has one.

If he's been fairly tight to this point, I'd have been more inclined to complete preflop and bet the pot on the flop, but I may like that play too much in general.

Copernicus
11-21-2003, 11:44 AM
I am more conservative PF and would have just completed, though I know many would like your raise to $3k. However, once he comes back at you for another 3k I think its a fold. He almost certainly has a pair or AK, AQs. The only flop you can like after that has at least 2 hearts in it, and its not worth sticking around for. This flop comes, youve committed 40% of your stack already and its tough to get away from, even though there is a good chance youre behind.

As it is though, what do you do, as time runs out and you have to click something. If you bet you arent likely to get a call from anything that you can beat (as long as you kill drawing odds to the inside straight). If you check a bet back into you is almost automatic from a strong player but, while youve just delayed the decision, you have forced him to set a price that may be lower than you would have led with. If he comes in weakly I would have to read it as a pair lower than As and come back over the top. If he comes in with strength I would fold. (If you thought he was a strong enough player not to broadcast his hand this way, then I think the call of his last raise is a huge mistake, there is just too much chance to get outplayed when you pair up a weak A.)

Mike Gallo
11-21-2003, 12:15 PM
Joe,

All fold to me in the SB w/A 6 and I make it 3000. The BB raises to 6000 and I call.

You have just commited about half of your stack with A6 suited. You flopped the ace, but have to worry about a bigger ace..or drawing next dead to KJ AQ AK A 10 A J. You beat most pocket pairs.

Do you want to end your tournament with A6?

I would not have called the reraise preflop, thus eliminating my post flop decisions.

On a side note, what flop did you want to have All hearts or AA6? You did hit your aces but you still have a vunerable hand.

45Player
11-21-2003, 12:16 PM
The previous 2 responders make very good points. If it was me I would have folded to the raise of 3k by the BB. My reasoning would be – I’ve taken a shot at stealing the BB with a reasonable hand , but I’ve walked into a stronger hand. If I call then I am out of position with 9200. This is not really a spot where I want to make a stand. You’re going to be in an awkward position with nearly all flops, so I reckon it’s better to get out pre-flop. You’re still in 4th position, you have 12200 and you’re on the button. Wait for a better spot.
Note : the above would be my general play based on having no reliable read on my opponent.

If I had paid to see the flop, then I’m honestly not sure what I would do. It would depend on my read of the player. I would probably play it as Copernicus described.

Joe Tall
11-21-2003, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the payout structure?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know 1st was $350 or so out of a $1007 prize pool and 10th was $16, 9th $33, then I'm vauge.

[ QUOTE ]
How aggressive have you been up until this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was fairly aggressive. You know that it's me, JT, that's posting this right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What's your feeling on the BB? Would he reraise with a middle pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did indeed put him on a middle pair. I also think that he thought I was on a steal and was defending heavily.

[ QUOTE ]
If he has A9, will he lay it down to an all-in bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

A9 or a middle pair I thought he would lay down.

[ QUOTE ]
more inclined to complete preflop and bet the pot on the flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about completing but I just couldn't get myself to.

Results in a few.

Thanks,
JT

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-21-2003, 01:02 PM
I also think that he thought I was on a steal and was defending heavily.

A9 or a middle pair I thought he would lay down.

There you go. reraise all-in.

Mike Gallo
11-21-2003, 01:10 PM
I did indeed put him on a middle pair. I also think that he thought I was on a steal and was defending heavily.

Then fire the second barrel and go all in on the flop.

Joe Tall
11-21-2003, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am more conservative PF

[/ QUOTE ]

I think down the stretch run and my chip position I failed to consider and will be more conservative next time.

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet you arent likely to get a call from anything that you can beat

[/ QUOTE ]

This I should have considered, just to bet.

Thanks for your response,
Joe Tall

Joe Tall
11-21-2003, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you want to end your tournament with A6?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But I thought I had the best hand at the time.

[ QUOTE ]
You have just commited about half of your stack with A6 suited. You flopped the ace, but have to worry about a bigger ace..or drawing next dead to KJ AQ AK A 10 A J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got stuck on him having the PP and failed to consider how many other holdings were possible to have me behind here.

Thanks MG,
JT

Joe Tall
11-21-2003, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
reraise all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean preflop? This is what I should have done instead of calling, I feel.

Thanks Kurn,
JT

Joe Tall
11-21-2003, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then fire the second barrel and go all in on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I did. I pushed in and he quickly called.

He flipped over KJ for the nuts and I went out in 9th.

Maybe I'll get one this weekend, just a few posts and I'm learning quickly.

Thank you all for your comments!

Peace,
Joe

Mike Gallo
11-21-2003, 03:35 PM
He flipped over KJ for the nuts and I went out in 9th.

That does hurt. To come so far and one mistake takes you out of the significant money.

I worried most about KJ suited, especially because many players love to reraise with that hand.

Joe Tall
11-21-2003, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I worried most about KJ suited

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even consider it. Yes it was K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif! Doh! Would have been really intesting if 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gifs hit!

There WILL be a next time!

Thanks again,
JT

curmudgeon
11-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Pre-flop: Raise or Fold
If you put him on a middle pair pre-flop then it seems like a fold, and hang on for more prize money.
You played it fine after the flop.
As for the result, well.... he just got real lucky with that miracle flop.