PDA

View Full Version : QQ in SB

bisonbison
11-21-2003, 05:45 AM
PP .5/1 - 10 people, loose passive. I'm in the SB.

Hero: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO, Button limp. I decide to call, and BB checks. 6 players.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 BB)

With the dreaded overcard on the board and a backdoor flush draw, I decide to bet out and see if anyone wants to sieze control of the hand. Apparently I'm the only one who wants to do so.

Hero bets. BB, MP3, CO and Button call. 5 to the turn.

Turn: K /images/graemlins/club.gif (5.5 BB)

Well, the other overcard gives me the nut flush draw, but I'm not likely to win without improving. I figure the betting will now start fine without me, and I check.

BB bets, MP3 folds, CO raises, Button 3-bets, and it's back to me.

With the quiet pre-flop, I'm not putting anyone on an A or K set here, so I figure I've got roughly 10 outs, clubs and queens. 11.5 BB in the pot at the moment, and thinking it's LL, I figure at least one of the other two will call. I ask them silently not to cap.

I call, BB folds, and CO calls behind me.

I'm a little short on the odds here, but I figure that a river bet will get called.

River: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif (15.5 BB)

The blessed club falls. I have the nuts, and am not really sure what to do. I don't want it to get checked around, however unlikely that seems given the big betting on the turn.

Hero bets, and the two others call. I bring home 18BB.

CO had K9o
Button had A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Obviously, I'm pleased with the result, but I'm a bit of a newb, and I have questions on every street:

1. Do I raise pre-flop here?
2. Do I bet out on the flop?
3. Do I check the turn (planning to check-call, not check-raise)?
4. Do I cold call the 3-bet?
5. Do I bet out on the river?

edit: I've heard mention of a program that can parse hand histories automatically. Can anyone provide a link?

lil'
11-21-2003, 07:22 AM
You played the first two streets backwards. You call pre-flop instead of raising when you have the best of it.

On the flop, now that you are drawing to two outs or a runner runner flush, you decide to bet. How come? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Joe Tall
11-21-2003, 09:32 AM
RAISE PREFLOP!!

I like the bet out, 'see where I'm at' on the flop.

I'd bet the turn here as well, here's why:

You've bet the flop and have represented an Ace and/or a possible 4-flush draw.

If you don't bet the flop sometimes it will be 2+ bets back to you on the turn (as it is here) and there is no way you'll fold the nut-draw .

When you bet the turn you 'freeze' the your opponents having not layed off and will save possible bets when you miss your draw.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

lil'
11-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Joe,

I'm surprised you like the flop bet. Seems like to little too late to me. Check-fold time.

Joe Tall
11-21-2003, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems like to little too late to me. Check-fold time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definately late, no doubt. The thing is I raise preflop and I'm not in this situation. With 3 limpers and the BB the flop 'feel'-bet is not all that bad. Since he failed preflop, I kinda like the play on the flop.

Peace,
JT

bisonbison
11-21-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm not doubting that I should have raised pre-flop with the 3rd best hand. Like I said, I'm a bit of a newb and it's hard for me to lean on my aggression when I feel like I could sneak. Obviously I don't want to sneak with QQ because at LL where any Ax or Kx will play, this kind of flop will kill me (plus, of course, I almost surely have the best hand and should therefore try to get more money in the pot).

Would I then want to bet this flop? If I get raised, do I toss my hand at this point or do I call to see the turn? And on the turn, am I wrong to call that many bets?

Sarge85
11-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Outside of missing the PF raise, i think you played the hand quite well.

The bet on the flop was ok (arguments for both sides I suppose), but with the /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif your hand does have the extra outs you pointed out.

Joe Tall brings up a good point about leading the turn as well, maybe it saves you on BB.

I think you lead the river.

lil'
11-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Against fewer opponents I have no worries about it. Against 5 low limit players, I don't think it's so good, especially when they call along with their weak aces.

Joe Tall
11-21-2003, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
plus, of course, I almost surely have the best hand and should therefore try to get more money in the pot).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how you should be thinking, even if the whole table and some guy off the street decided to limp.

[ QUOTE ]
Would I then want to bet this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet out on cheap steet for the same reasons I stated that you should bet the turn.

Oh BTW I should have edited: My response should say: "If you don't bet the turn sometimes it will be 2+ bets back to you on the turn (as it is here) and there is no way you'll fold the nut-draw." I said "flop" for some reason hope, I didn't confuse you.

[ QUOTE ]
If I get raised, do I toss my hand at this point or do I call to see the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this flop is tricky with the 2 flush cards. Someone could put a semi-bluff jam the flop with a 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif holding.

[ QUOTE ]
And on the turn, am I wrong to call that many bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I put, " no-way you fold the nut flush draw. " in bold.

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, I'm a bit of a newb

[/ QUOTE ]

You've come to the right place, keep posting!

Peace,
JT