PDA

View Full Version : What's all the fuss about Lee Jones' book?

Ace-Korea
11-21-2003, 12:40 AM
On the back cover of Lee Jones' book, Winning Low Limit Hold'em, it says,

"Don't read this book! If everyone followed the instructions in this book I'd have to find a new line of work. P.S. If you see a long haired homeless guy sleeping on a park bench, please give him a dollar."

-- Chris Ferguson, Champion, 2000 World Series of Poker

and here are my comments on Ferguson's words:

"Don't read this book!" <-- I agree. I think it's a terrible book compared to other poker books out there. Well, on a second thought, DO read it.

"If everyone followed the instructions in this book I'd have to find a new line of work." <-- Yes. Poker.

"P.S. If you see a long haired homeless guy sleeping on a park bench, please give him a dollar." <-- Now, here's my question to you. Do you give money to beggars/homeless people when you see one? Why and why not? :c )

over_c
11-21-2003, 01:26 AM
I think his book is ok for low-limit loose-passive games. Following his advice (for the most part) I am doing ok playing online. What parts do you find fault with?

I don't give money to homeless people or street panhandlers because I am an incredibly cheap bastard.

gonores
11-21-2003, 02:04 AM
WLLHE is a great first book for a player without much of a clue about the game because its and easy read with simple concepts to grasp. It doesn't put new players into tough situations very often.

I don't give money to homeless people because I am heartless Republican. I also support legislation to tax the smile and make it rain every day.

andyfox
11-21-2003, 02:45 AM
Lee's book is an excellent intruduction for new players at lower limits, or those wishing to improve their game. He's a fine writer and the book is well organized, easy to understand, and gives sensible advice on how to play.

Note that Lee speaks well of 2+2 publications, calling TOP the best poker books ever written and adivses those wanting to play in mdeium or hig lmits games to memorize HPFAP before playing.

Why do you think the book is terrible?

nicky g
11-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Not that it really matters, but it does seem silly that a high stakes tournament player who as I understand it never plays ring games provides the main endorsement on a book for low-limit cash players. Does CF have a second career as a book blurb writer? It seems like he's on all of them. I liked the book but to be honest after having read it a few times I'm still a terrible low limit limit hold'em player. I guess some folks are too dumb to teach /images/graemlins/frown.gif.