PDA

View Full Version : Quiz: Bob Ciaffone - To steal or not ...

01-02-2002, 08:34 PM
Quiz: To steal or not - that's the Q !

Surfing the Net I found an interesting Quiz by Bob Ciaffone.

---

You are in the big blind with a four-handed unraised pot. The flop giving you the best chance to steal in an unraised pot is:

Qs-6c-2h

10h-7s-3c

7h-3c-2d

---

From a game-theoretical point-of-view there isn't such flops where it's easier to steal than others. But maybe it's different in real-life-poker ? What do you think ?

To be continued ...

01-02-2002, 09:04 PM
The Q,6,2rainbow flop is going to be easiest to steal in general. Main reasons are because this flop is uncoordinated (no straight or flush draw) and opponents almost for sure wont have two overcards if they dont have a pair. AK would have probably raised, and if nobody has a Queen you may be able to pick up the pot.

Kris

01-02-2002, 11:24 PM
I have not seen the quiz, but the first flop looks like the obvious answer to me. There is no flush draw, no straight draw (except a gutshot), and nobody should have 2 overcards unless they limped with AK.

01-03-2002, 04:11 PM
steal on the Q high flop, noone can have two overcards or a draw.

Good luck,

Bob T.

01-03-2002, 10:47 PM
You are in the big blind with a four-handed unraised pot. The flop giving you the best chance to steal in an unraised pot is:

Qs-6c-2h

10h-7s-3c

7h-3c-2d

Answer: Qs-6c-2h.

A hand with two overcards usually calls a flop bet (even though a fold is more often the correct play). This means you have a greater chance of success by betting when there is one big card on the board than no big cards. When the flop is real raggedy, as in 7h-3c-2h, it is not so likely to help someone, but a lot of people tend to call your bet, figuring you do not have much either.

01-04-2002, 02:25 PM
former Jack,

You quoted Bob: "When the flop is real raggedy, as in 7h-3c-2h, it is not so likely to help someone, but a lot of people tend to call your bet, figuring you do not have much either.

When you flop two pair or a set out of the blinds with this flop there is no reason to slowplay but you probably want to slowplay the queen high flop.

Regards,

Rick

01-04-2002, 02:53 PM
Would you still slowplay it if you flopped bottom two pair?

If I had bottom two I would tend to play it as fast as possible.

01-04-2002, 08:33 PM
I have no hard evidence to back it up, but it seems to me (as I've mentioned here before) that I see more players limping now with a hand that contains a Q (or a K) than I used to.