PDA

View Full Version : to show or not to show?

vector
11-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Assume you play a tight and aggressive online NL game, including the occasional bluff when appropriate, do you think it is a good or bad idea to reveal some bluffs to your opponents? That is show your cards when you weren't called on a bluff.

i.e. is it worth more to be able to steal small/moderate pots when everyone assumes you are a super tight player, or better to get payed off on big hands because people think you are a bluffing nutcase (the two extreme ends of the spectrum).

Not a question that has any definitive answer since its so dependant on game flavour, your current image and your bluff frequency, but I'd be interested in any general views on the subject?

To date I have never revealed cards I don't have to (always have auto-muck on) but I'm wondering if I should be re-thinking that strategy?

steeser
11-21-2003, 09:41 AM
Generally speaking, I think it's a bad idea to show. But if you have done something atypical to your normal play, it may be a good idea to show to get people thinking.

Greg (FossilMan)
11-21-2003, 11:57 AM
In a real world game, you show cards because you think you can use that to manipulate your opponent later. Key point here is you know how your opponent just played this hand, you know he saw your hand when you showed it, and you see his reaction. It is this information that is needed to manipulate him later.

Online you don't know the opponents reaction to your hand, nor his temperament before you showed your cards. Even more important, you don't even know that he saw your exposed hand, let alone his reaction to seeing it.

Psychology doesn't really work much online, so don't bother trying to use it.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)