PDA

View Full Version : A novel situation and three questions

01-02-2002, 07:43 PM
"First prize is a brand new Cadillac. Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired." - Glengarry Glenn Ross

Playing a freeroll tourny in the TOC format with a payout structure that created a couple of interesting situations. We are down to no-limit hold 'em at the final table. The top five spots all pay $1060 in World Poker Challenge seats plus $170. Sixth place gets $340, seventh $255, eighth $170.

1. Eight-handed. I am in the small blind with 2450 behind. BB has maybe 5000. Blinds are 700-1500 with a 100 ante. It is folded to me. What is my action? Do I need to look at my cards?

2. Seven-handed. Blinds 1000-2000, ante 200. I'm on the button with 1800 and A3o. Folded to me: I'm all-in. The little blind called with J4s. He had about 3500 behind his blind before calling. Was his call a good idea? Does he need to look at his cards before acting?

3. Seven-handed. Blinds 1500-3000. I'm in the big blind with 3400 behind. The big stacks all fold, so I announce loudly that I'm pot stuck and must call any bet. The small blind, with about 1000 more than me, ignores my threat and pushes all in. It is unlikely that play will end before my next big blind. What is my action? Do I need to look at my cards?

Actions and results to follow....

01-02-2002, 10:20 PM
I probably play fewer tournaments than most of the other posters, so why shouldn't I stick my neck out?

1. I think most good tournament players would tell you to push it in. You are too short stacked to do anything else. The downside to looking at your cards first is you might chicken out.

2. The SB was getting over 3:1 on his call. Sounds good to me. From question 3, it must have gone your way.

3. I'm not sure what the right play is here, but I would probably decide depending on the strength of my hand. I'm not going to call with 72.

01-03-2002, 01:51 PM
Situation 1: Push in. Cards don't matter.

Situation 2: Will post separately, but I thought this was a very bad play seven-handed. Six-handed, his call makes more sense, although he puts himself at risk of losing if the big blind bets.

Situation 3: I had enough chips to throw many lesser hands away. This one was A2o, so the chips went in. Exeunt me. But I bought some seats off one of the winners cheap, so I'll see you in Reno the 12th and 14th. :-)