PDA

View Full Version : Big Slick in Party $100 NLHE SNG --- how to play this?

allenciox
11-20-2003, 03:03 PM
First hand in the SNG (all hands have 1000 chips), I am dealt AKs in early position. I raise to 80, and get called in two places in middle position. The flop comes A 9 7 rainbow. I lead out with a pot level ($265) bet. I get called by both players. Next card is a 3. I check and it checks around. The next card is a 7 pairing the low card on the flop. I check, player 2 goes all in ($655) and player 3 calls. Do I go all-in or fold? And did I play it wrong?

Mike Gallo
11-20-2003, 03:34 PM
Alen,

Why did you check the turn and river?

I would have pushed all in on the turn.

PlayerA
11-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Seems to me like the situation is similar to the following:

Recent Thread on TPFAP Problem (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?)

Zag
11-20-2003, 04:22 PM
That link doesn't seem to have the thread ID in it.

PlayerA
11-20-2003, 05:01 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=410865&page=1&view=co llapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

allenciox
11-20-2003, 05:56 PM
I thought that two people calling my A top kicker --- one could have the A lower kicker, but would the other? (Unlikely it is the fourth ace). I figured that someone had flopped a set. Also, if I bet again, I am totally pot-committed --- I have to call an all-in raise.

By the way, I folded my hand on the end. The first player turned over KJ (he was totally bluffing) and the second player had a pair of 9s.

allenciox
11-20-2003, 06:01 PM
Contributing to my last post, wouldn't my raise from early position scream either big pocket pair or A-big kicker? Why would they call that with nothing and second pair respectively?

Bozeman
11-20-2003, 06:12 PM
This is more proof that the players at Party are abyssmal. In general, I would expect to see those callers on top pair lower kicker and a draw (at Party).

Thus you should usually bet the turn, especially when the perfect blank hit.

As for what they are thinking, I guess they put you on a bluff, obviously right since you checked the turn ...

And you may think 5 1/3xbb is a big raise preflop, but many of these players think in absolute terms, not relative terms. And it is less bad to play a speculative hand for less than 10% of your stack than for more.

Craig

Mike Gallo
11-20-2003, 07:13 PM
Also, if I bet again, I am totally pot-committed --- I have to call an all-in raise

Take the iniative and move all in. You were a huge favorite to win the hand. Put your opponent to the test.

You made a mistake by folding.

Schneids
11-20-2003, 08:05 PM
Yes, this is more or less the exact situation I described and why, specifically in Party, I lean towards betting the turn instead of checking. They did exactly as does commonly happen on Party... Read your check as weakness, then stole the initiative from you by going all in on the river. Sure, in your hand, they had the benefit of scary looking river card, but this situation is totally avoided by just going all in on the turn. Again, because [most] Party players are idiots. Their smooth calls mean nothing but weakness most of the time. Of course, you already responded to my initial post Allen, so I pretty much know what you think and you know what I think, so I'm probably rehashing the obvious.