PDA

View Full Version : Quantifying Leaks

Norm
11-20-2003, 02:27 PM
I read an article (last year?) by Ciaffone that identified the top 5 leaks as:
1)playing weak starting hands
2)calling the flop on long shots (6 or fewer outs)
3)calling turn raises (with top pair type hands)
4)being too aggressive with 4+ opponents still in
5)lacking sufficient aggression against 1 or 2 opponents.

I find myself doing all of these at times, which do you think are the most serious and costly in terms of earn rate? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

PokerNoob
11-20-2003, 02:45 PM
At microlimits?

#1 by a longshot. Then I would say #3. They usually tell you you are beat. Then #2, guilty as charged. Then #4, and #5 doesn't happen that often.

MaxPower
11-20-2003, 03:18 PM
It all depends on frequency. I don't think most pre-flop errors cost you very much, but if you make the very frequently, they cost a lot in the long run.

The thing I see low-limit players do most often is 2 - calling the flop on longshots.

Norm
02-03-2004, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The thing I see low-limit players do most often is 2 - calling the flop on longshots.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, under what conditions do you properly proceed with second pair or TP weak kicker?

skunkworks
02-03-2004, 07:36 PM
For second pair, the texture of the flop, the type of players (tricky, straightforward, maniac), and position.

For top pair weak kicker, I play it differently depending on position and number of players. Early position I'll check/raise if the bet comes from late position typical loose player. Middle position, depends on a bunch of different things, including texture of the flop. I'll bet in late position if it's checked to me.

And for both situations, don't forget about the size of the pot and the odds that it offers you.