PDA

View Full Version : AK, QQ, and JJ when the flop misses you (long)

12-30-2001, 11:17 PM
Ok, I have a question. I've lost quite a bit of money the last couple of days, and gotten particularly in trouble with these three hands post-flop.

So obviously you raise with these hands from pretty much any position pre-flop. I would also reraise a raise with any of these hands since they prefer fewer people in the hand. I would only call a 3-bet with them in general, though (unless it's 3-bets cold to me, in which case I'd 4-bet if I don't think I'm against AA or KK and fold otherwise). Hopefully I'm pretty correct so far.

My main question is how to play on a flop that misses you. Every single time I had these hands yesterday, the flop burned me, and I didn't win with these hands once and lost a LOT of money. I have a few scenarios and would like some advice:

1. Have AKs preflop in EP and have two plus the blinds cold-call in a generally loose-passive game. Flop comes Q62 with one of your suit. Checked to you, do you bet? (I'd say check-calling is right out here... either you bet, check-raise, or fold... I also wouldn't check-raise in this situation). My intuition tells me if you check-fold here every time, you are giving up too much. So you bet. What if it gets raised behind you (by a loose-aggressive player)? Or, what if everyone calls (or all but one) and another brick hits the turn? Basically, when do you give up on this hand?

2. You have QQ on the button and three limpers to you. You raise and are called by the BB and the limpers. Flop comes K76. Second limper bets and is called by thrid limper. What do you do? Again my instinct says a fold here every time is giving up way too much. If you call, though, you are drawing to only two outs (assuming the better or caller has a K), so a call isn't right. So say you raise and are called only by the two with money in. Now what if a 5 hits on the turn and you are bet into again? What if the same 5 hits, but you are checked to? What about a J on the turn you are bet into again?

3. You have JJ in MP. One limper to you and you raise. Loose aggressive player in cut-off 3-bets. Everyone folds to limper who cold-calls. Do you reraise here? Say you just call. Flop comes 877. Checked to you. Do you bet or check-raise? I'd be inclined to check-raise to trap the limper. LA bets, limper calls, and you raise. LA now reraises. Now what do you do if limper cold-calls? What if limper folds (at this point I'd be inclined to call the reraise and then bet the turn... but what if the turn comes A?)

I know QQ and JJ are supposed to be strong hands, but in my estimation, I've definitely lost money overall with these hands. I think my luck on the flop has been a little bad (I've only played about 150 hours or so of poker, and have only had these hands maybe 20 times total and I think I've seen unfavorable flops a little more than expected), but I also think I'm misplaying them. Thank you in advance for your advice.

01-02-2002, 09:52 PM
What's most important is understanding that there is a finite amount of action you want with the QQ and JJ hands if they are unimproved by the flop. Your idea of "trapping the limper" is a catastrophe. What you want when you haven't flopped a set is to PICK UP THE POT. If you've got Jacks, why would you want to tempt fate and risk seeing any of the 12 cards that almost certainly destroy your chances at the pot? Do you think there's no Aces, Kings, or Queens in those four cards held by those other two players?

Also, what if you check raise and get 3-bet by the cutoff? Yikes, guess he might have a pair bigger than Jacks, huh?

Bet into the cutoff! If he calls and the limper folds and a blank comes on the turn, you win. If he 3-bets and the limper folds and you 4-bet, you're still on your way to maximize your chances to win the pot.

Note that in each of the above scenarios, the limper folds. If he does not fold by the river, at least you know you're up against a legit hand, quite possibly A7 or 88.

But if you've raised preflop, and you don't flop a set with this hand, you're already getting your price. Grab the pot.