PDA

View Full Version : Anything Wrong with These?

Festus22
11-20-2003, 08:54 AM
I'd like a 2nd opinion on these:

Party $0.5/1. Normal table, 4 - 6 typically seeing the flop.

Hand 1
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in MP. 2 limpers, I raise, button, both blinds and limpers call.

Flop [K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]. SB bets, BB raises, UTG calls, I called, button folded and SB called. Good call here or should I have 3-bet? Turn was the 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB checks, BB bets and UTG calls. Raise or call? This was close since I'm 3:1 to hit either nut draw but I didn't want to chase the SB off and I only had 2 callers in so far. I just called. River was the J /images/graemlins/spade.gif and I got a chance to 3-bet after the SB bet and the BB raised. Of course I'm good. It felt weird to just call twice during the play but I thought they were the right decisions. There was a time in the not-too-distant past that I'd have limped that hand PF. If that was the case, I'd only have been getting 3:1 on the flop call and I'm not sure I'd have made it. Incremental progress? I hope so.

Hand 2
A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG+2. UTG open limps, I raise, MP 3-bets (had been at the table about 5 hands and wasn't a maniac), BB calls, UTG calls and I call. Do you cap this against 3 opponents?

Flop K /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Checks to me, I bet, MP raises, BB folds, UTG cold calls, I 3-bet, all call. Turn was
7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Check, I bet, call, call. River 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Check, I bet, MP folds (?), UTG calls and....the chips come my way. I thought I played this hand OK but if MP had capped the flop should I have just check/called it down at that point? Also, if UTG had check-raised the river, again call it?

Festus22
11-20-2003, 01:22 PM
In all seriousness, are these hands just not interesting? Does my posting style stink? Is my Festus picture too scary? It grieves me when I fall off the first page with no responses.

PokerNoob
11-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Hand 1: What did you make of the BB's flop raise? I'm a lot more comfortable peeling one off on ace and jack outs without the raise. After the turn, the raise is a dilemma because you don't want to chase anybody off or kill your river action should you hit. I would think slowplayed set of kings if I were turn raised there by a preflop raiser after BB's flop raise.

Hand 2: I cap preflop. I'd slow down if the flop was capped. A river checkraise on that board is a boat, perhaps JTs, since he should have open raised AQ. A reasonable opponent who open limped Q9 should fear AQ. You do see a lot of craziness though. What did your opponents have?

Edit: I love the Festus picture. Gunsmoke was a great TV show. It gives me fond memories of watching it with my grandparents.

Nottom
11-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Hand 1: You are getting 8-1 with the gut shot and a BD flush draw. I don't like calling 2-bets here because it could still get raised behind you, but its close. 3-betting is a mistake. Raising the turn is a mistake, you have a lot of outs but some of the flush outs are probably no good. Good play on the river.

Hand 2: this is a tough one.

Preflop, there is no reason to cap it. Calling the 3-bet is correct against normal players.

Thats a pretty scary flop, but I think you played it right. I'm guessing MP had QQ and made a good river laydown. Who knows what UTG had, maybe AJ or KQ or something.

Gomez22
11-20-2003, 01:41 PM
HAND 1

I would have played pretty much the same way. Personally, I hate raising the turn with a draw, basically no matter how good it is unles I have 3 or more limpers in front of me and I can really make them pay. Either that, or getting a draw with TP on the flop... maybe A10h from button with the flop coming AsJh4h, just for example. I like the play here, to tell the truth.

HAND 2
I MIGHT try to get sneaky here and try for a check-raise on the flop just to see where I'm at..... The BB & button both called 2 cold PF, so either they have good hands, or are both idiots, although you DID 3-bet here, which was kinda nice.... jsut watch out for a cap in these situations.

I think Mr. MP was overplaying a flush draw.

If MP caps the flop, check/call it down unless another king comes.

UTG... hell, I can't get this..... I can't see him limping/cold-calling with any 10 here, I would probably think he had either QJ or played a weak ace about as bad as you can... I would say QJ is his hand. Nothing else makes sense to me here.

And if UTG had CR'd the river, I'd call down... no way does he limp UTG, call 2 cold PF AND on the flop with a 10 in his hand without having a J or K to go with it, and you woulda known if he did.

Nottom
11-20-2003, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And if UTG had CR'd the river, I'd call down... no way does he limp UTG, call 2 cold PF AND on the flop with a 10 in his hand without having a J or K to go with it, and you woulda known if he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

AT or QT would play this way. If he was passive, he might play KT or JT this way in fear of the straight.

el_grande
11-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Your picture is scary, but other than that everything is cool.

Question on hand 1... You mentioned that if you limped, your odds on a flop call would have been 3:1. Wouldn't they have been 4.5:1? You would have had 6 seeing the flop, which is $3. Then a bet and a raise in front of you on the flop so you are calling $1 with $4.5 in the pot, right?

el_grande
11-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Hand 2, I wouldn't have have capped it because you aren't trapping anybody with a cold call of 2 bets. I don't think anyone would have folded, and as good as AK is, it does need to improve against 3 opponents.