PDA

View Full Version : are you a dog or not? what to do, why?

12-30-2001, 09:38 AM
Fairly passive game. I'm visiting this place for the holidays. I play very aggressively with the good stuff. But often these players are limping with AK,AQ,and many other hands. In particular I've noticed 2 players that ALWAYS limp with big pocket pairs, say 10's & up. There's really only 3 players that open raise with any semi regularity. But for the most part the players are loose in their playing standards.

so here's the 1st hand:

UTG hasn't seen a flop for 45 minutes or more except in the BB. He plays a more standard game. He's one of the "3" mentioned above. So he opens for a raise. I look down to find pocket 10's.

What would you do?

ps...I'm 2 seats to his left.

#2 I'm 3 seats off the BB. Before I look I see that SB wants to raise. I look down to see pocket 8's. What now?

12-30-2001, 10:17 PM
1.Reraise if nobody calls inbetween, and probably just call if there is a caller or two inbetween. I think that one caller inbetween makes it close between reraising and calling.

2. If the SB is a fairly typical player then he might only be willing to raise with big hands out of the SB. This can put you in a tough spot because this would mean that he will either have 2 overcrds ora bigger pair. If you knew he would have one of these two hands I think folding would be best unless you could expect a multiway pot in which case you can win a big pot by flopping a set. If the small blind is apt to raise more liberally then I would raise in this spot, and you might end up getting to play heads up.

Kris

12-31-2001, 11:03 AM
I just re-read my post and think I gave the wrong impression. The raiser in #1 is a pretty solid tight player with decent raising standards. So is #2 really.

Seems when I re-read I thought the writer meant they could be raising w/anything....not the case.

01-02-2002, 09:02 PM
Or at least I was. I was sure in hane #1 that he had a bigger pocket pair. He was not one to limp with them as some were, he hadnt played a hand forever. In this case he had Jacks. But how often are you a dog with an early position tight player utg open-raise?

#2 I don't normally raise in the SB with AK,AQ, so I figured him for big pair too. He had Kings.

I mucked both hands pre-flop.