PDA

View Full Version : Part Poker players

krazyace5
11-20-2003, 03:23 AM
.50/1.00 tables,
Whats with these players? I got a pair of aces raise before flop, on flop I catch another ace so I keep betting every chance, get beat by someone that stayed in with a 3 and 6 or something like that and catches a straight.

How do you play against people that don't fold for anything?

This was happening quite a bit where people with nothing would just keep calling or even making bets when they had nothing then they sometimes catch the river and make a long shot hand.

Should I play the $1/$2 tables or do they play the same way?

Thanks

Alobar
11-20-2003, 03:41 AM
2/4 isnt "quite" as bad, but im saying its only like 5% better than .5/1.....moving up isnt going to help you any. If you cant beat .5/1 your not going to beat 2/4. Its frustrating to get AA cracked by crap hands like 63o. I was looking at my poker tracker stats earlier and was shocked that I win with AA 85% of the time, cuz it sure doesnt feel that way. Your going to remember the bad beats, over the times that you bet all the way to the river and some guy calls you down the whole way and loses in the showdown.

You have to adjust your play to the lower limits and looser players. Read the forums, study some poker books geared towards lower limits (everyone here from what I've read reccomends "Winning low limit hold'em", I havent read it, but if it has the 2+2 approval its a good book) and you should be able to beat .5/1 and even 2/4

chesspain
11-20-2003, 09:06 AM
Krazy,

Welcome to the forum! As you will learn after you are here for a while, questions like yours are asked all of the time.
And the general answer is...

"Be happy to be playing with of these calling station fish."

Whereas your pocket aces will get cracked more often, you will still win money in the long run by playing them hard and fast, as the pots you do win should gather a net gain over the AA pots that you lose. I know it's frustrating to lose with a big hand like AA, but you need to get past the entitlement that some new players have with regards to their expectations with big pocket pairs. Remenber also that the goal in poker is not to win pots, but to win money

Finally, it is true that playing with seven idiots who see the flop and four who will call you all the way to the river will increase your bankroll variance, but in the long run you will come out ahead if you play smart poker.

ResidentParanoid
11-20-2003, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you play against people that don't fold for anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait until you have it or have odds to draw to it. Then bet. If you don't have it or odds to draw to it, then fold. When you are convinced that they have it, fold. 0.5/1 is as easy as poker gets.

Nottom
11-20-2003, 01:07 PM
Sit down at the next 2+2 table. Its filled with good players and is therefore much easier than most Party .5/1 tables filled with people who will call you down with nothing.

rkiray
11-20-2003, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its filled with good players and is therefore much easier than most Party .5/1 tables filled with people who will call you down with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really mean this?

squiffy
11-20-2003, 01:36 PM
You should try the $5-$10 tables. People there play more conservatively. So a player of your caliber will actually do better, playing against tight players, than against loose fishies, who are practically unbeatable.

ScottTheFish
11-20-2003, 01:39 PM
"Sit down at the next 2+2 table. Its filled with good players and is therefore much easier than most Party .5/1 tables filled with people who will call you down with nothing. "

"You should try the $5-$10 tables. People their play more conservatively. So a player of your caliber will actually do better, playing against tight players, than against loose fishies, who are practically unbeatable. "

You guys trying to cost this guy a lot of money?? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

el_grande
11-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Lower limits are not as enjoyable because of this. Over the long term, you will win money, but the suckouts will make it seem more like a grind.

However, unless you don't mind blowing hundreds of dollars, you need to put in the time at the micro limits to develop your game and your bankroll.

Anyone with money and an ego can jump into a 5/10 game. Have respect for the game of poker and learn it gradually, moving up from the lowest limits.

If you can build a bankroll at the microlimits, you will be a stronger player when you move up to 1/2, 2/4, 4/8/, 5/10 or whatever.

slavic
11-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Party 5/10 hand.

I have AA in the MP.

UTG opens for 10, UTG+1 Cold Calls, I reraise, and then I watch as I'm called in 5 places.

As these aces were being cracked on a raggy non draw board all I could think of was how good this game is.

AA is a great starting hand, but it's also the best of the weakest good hands. They will be cracked, but if they are cracked in this fashion it's not such a bad thing.

Saborion
11-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Unless he was being sarcastic, I have a lot (well, even more) to learn.

Nottom
11-20-2003, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really mean this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hellrazor
11-20-2003, 02:14 PM
On the bright side at .50/1 Party Poker you do not have to understand the concepts of sarcasm. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Redleg7
11-20-2003, 03:35 PM
You just described a hand that I played in just the other night, except I didn't make a straight, instead the flop blessed me with a 6 and 3 for two pair, the other person I was against showed me two Aces at the end.

One of the key points for my opponent to consider was the fact that I was in the big blind and had a "free" look at the flop. There was no raise preflop so I can only assume that he was slowplaying his aces. Had there been a raise I would have mucked my trash hand.

I forget exactly how the betting went, at some point I figured my opponent might have a higher two pair (63 isn't exactly the cats meow), plus I'm in a rebuilding phase (that's why I'm in micro limit hell) so I was playing a little weak on this particular hand, although my betting did indicate I had top pair beat, so this should have been a clue.

Anyway I took it down with my low two pair against his pair of aces. I kinda felt for the guy since he was short stacked to begin with, and was probably waiting for those bullets all night. I know what its like to fold hand after hand, get a great hand, only to be smacked by some offsuit trash like my 63 hand.

So in my case I wasn't "intentionally" playing a bad hand, someone "allowed" me to play because they slowplayed their aces.

Mike Gallo
11-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Sit down at the next 2+2 table. Its filled with good players and is therefore much easier than most Party .5/1 tables filled with people who will call you down with nothing.

Ummm...I find it easier to beat bad players than good players. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike Gallo
11-20-2003, 03:59 PM
So a player of your caliber will actually do better, playing against tight players, than against loose fishies, who are practically unbeatable.

Do you really mean this?

CardCuda
11-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Yeah I agrre with ya it sucks to lose with the "best hand" pre-flop. I've lost more money with A-A than any other hand (records). Just last night I had them cracked all 3 times in a 4 hour session, lost to K-2o, 5-6o, and J6s, bet and raised and re-raised and capped and crushed. Frustrating! But I still have confidence enough to get my money in when I have the best of it! If I lose, hopefully i learn and get wiser. Win in the long run with these hands you will.....patience is key.

Nottom
11-20-2003, 04:26 PM
All joking aside, if you really think playing against players that will go to the river with anything then I still suggest sitting at the next 2+2 table. You may or may not win anything, but when you leave you will appriciate those fish a lot more.

Gomez22
11-20-2003, 04:31 PM
To quote confucious: Eggzackree.....

MaxPower
11-20-2003, 04:35 PM
What's really frustrating is playing against players who don't pay you off when you have a good hand. Also, they only call and raise when they have you beat. I hate those good players.

lefty rosen
11-20-2003, 04:37 PM
But party's 2/4 is usually fairly tight. I have played it during the day and I found I was able to dominate guys with 10/10 that's tightttttttttttttttttttt!