PDA

View Full Version : 99 from the SB... criticism appreciated

Gomez22
11-20-2003, 12:39 AM
Stars .25/.50 table... loose/passive at times, aggressive at others

I'm in SB with 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, folded to me, I call, BB checks.

FLOP(4 SB): K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, all call.... WAS going to try for a check-raise here, but I thought the overcards on the flop gave someone a decent chance at being on a straight draw or a slim possibility of 2 pair.

TURN(4 BB): 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

RIVER(6 BB): 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, MP1 raises, I 3-bet, MP1 calls.

I feel I shoulda check-raised the flop, but is that correct on a board like this? Also, would anyone raise PF here, with only 2 limpers in front? I wouldn't have had any position here after the flop came, though and I wanted to try and keep BB in just in case... maybe I was thinking wrong, but that was my thinking, nonetheless.

Results to come later.....

JDErickson
11-20-2003, 12:58 AM
Tough one on the PF raise. I probably would have limped though from SB.

Only thing different I might have done is checkraise the turn. Might be a little risky though as it may check around.

Nice hand

Jim

chesspain
11-20-2003, 01:16 AM
I think you played the hand fine.

Qui-Gon
11-20-2003, 05:35 AM
For me this would be the routine:
FLOP: check-call
TURN: check-raise (unless the flop is checked around, or a T or Q falls)
RIVER: bet out

There is a possibility for a straight but I don't think you can worry to much about that. Even if someone has a straight you have 7 outs for a full house/quads on the turn and 10 outs for a full house/quads on the river if you didn't make it on the turn. That means that you have about 33% chance of improving your hand if my calculations are right.

On the flop you take the risk of a round-check but most of the time someone will bet on a flop like this.

I just think you have to get the most out of hands like this one. As Lee Jones says - "If you don't loose a lot of money when you loose with a set you didn't play it right". Maybe my logic is wrong though.

Am I the only one thinking like this?

chesspain
11-20-2003, 08:58 AM
In a LL game I would not get too fancy going for overcalls and checkraises. I think it is much more likely that anyone attempting to fill a Broadway straight will be happy enough to check it through, although they will call if it is bet to them. Consequently, no one with a chance at Broadway is going anywhere, so why not collect from them (and anyone else who caught any piece of the flop) a certain bet on the flop.

I believe that the Lee Jones quote about losing a lot of money with a set refers to playing a set fast regardless of the action you're facing. He is not referring to making super fancy plays.

Carlos
11-20-2003, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to try and keep BB in just in case

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your thinking preflop is a little off. If I knew the BB would fold I would definitely raise. 99 will win more than it's fair share against two MP limpers and getting some dead money in the pot can never be bad. BB will fairly often have an unduplicated overcard to your nines so why give him 3 free cards?

I think you played fine postflop. You have no indication that anyone is going to bet so a check-raise could easily fail. The preflop betting sequence doesn't suggest that your opponents are particularly aggressive players. Furthermore you don't want them to fold. The pot is so small that calling with gutshots and overpairs would be a FTOP mistake.

Carlos

Gomez22
11-20-2003, 10:30 AM
MP1 showed J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

PokerNoob
11-20-2003, 02:09 PM
I think you go for the checkraise on the flop. Get the gutshotters out or make them pay two bets. Is the total pot bigger or smaller at the end when you win? I don't know. Possibly smaller because MP1 won't raise the river.

eh923
11-20-2003, 02:20 PM
When I lose to someone who played it the way you described, I normally say, "Thanks for saving me money".

Betting the flop from the small blind can mean any number of things in this situation, and in no way gives away the strength of your hand. The only fancy-ish play I would consider is smooth-calling a raise on the flop...but I would only do that to mix up my play if I've been constantly ramming with a set.

el_grande
11-20-2003, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you go for the checkraise on the flop. Get the gutshotters out or make them pay two bets. Is the total pot bigger or smaller at the end when you win? I don't know. Possibly smaller because MP1 won't raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the pot is small, isn't it better to bet out on the flop since it makes gutshot calls incorrect anyway? Why fool around with check-raising?

PokerNoob
11-20-2003, 04:43 PM
I think they are going to call anyway. Might as well make them call two.

el_grande
11-20-2003, 06:26 PM
I'm not worried about them calling, I'm worried about them checking it through.

HajiShirazu
11-20-2003, 07:32 PM
I would bet, hoping somebody raises so I can call and checkraise the turn if a blank hits. I might just 3-bet right there on the flop, since gutshots would then be getting the proper price to call one more bet but not two, then again I might not. Too bad nobody raised you. Anyway with only 4 in this unraised pot, I'm more concerned about getting the money in than knocking people out. In a bigger or more multiway pot, I would be more likely to go for the checkraise. But in this case the pot is small enough that I would want them to call my initial flop bet with gutshot draws-if they hit their gutshot, that's life. Usually, if I think it's a close call between checkraising and betting, I just bet. Betting can never be that bad. Kind of like that HPFAP thing about calling.
Nice 3-bet on the river though. I always feel strange 3-betting a river raise when I haven't improved since the flop and have been betting all the way. Of course, with only three hands that beat you, only one of which is likely, you have to 3-bet here.