PDA

View Full Version : My Opponent's Play...Connecticut 20-40

Jeffage
11-19-2003, 11:41 PM
Playing 20-40 at the Woods. Game is loose and I limp UTG with 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Solid player to my left calls, others call. Bunch limpers see a flop of 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I bet, and only the gentleman to my left calls. Turn is an offsuit 6. I bet, he raises, I reraise, he calls. I put him on Q10s for a flopped two pair and hope the board doesnt pair unless it gives me quads. River is an offsuit 9. I bet, he raises. He had K /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif for a rivered straight so of course he figured he'd try to push me off what he speculated was a pair of queens on the turn. Do you like this play and, in this spot, how often would you attempt it in that situation? 50/50 or a lot less? When I make it 120 on the turn, will u only show the hand down if u hit the straight or will you make a crying call due to pot size if u hit the King or Jack?

Just thought this was interesting, all comments appreciated.

Jeff

andyfox
11-20-2003, 02:14 AM
Where I play, I see this raise the turn play all the time, mostly at the 30-60 and 40-80 levels, not as much in the 20-40 game. It's a kind of classic semi-bluff raise, which works much less frequently than it used to, as a recent thread initiated by mike l. pointed out.

Most guys who limp UTG play pretty loose/passive. I would probably not try this turn raise because I would figure the UTG player would a) not have bet without something good into all those opponent on the flop; and b) would not keep betting on the turn without something goodish, and would certainly not lay down top pair to a raise from a pre-fop limper.

Gabe
11-20-2003, 04:53 AM
I agree with Andy on the first question.

Last question:

When I make it 120 on the turn, will u only show the hand down if u hit the
straight or will you make a crying call due to pot size if u hit the King or Jack?

He will make the crying call because he may think you may have been trying the same thing on the turn that he was doing, only with a flush draw.