PDA

View Full Version : Card Cycles?

CardCuda
11-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Just came across this in Ken Warren's Winners guide to Texas Hold 'Em Poker.

Thought I'd post it here to get some feedback.

Ken Warren states that cards have cycles and one should adjust their play accordingly? But the book doesn't really go into detail about when and how? I'm curious....

Let's say for discussion purposes during a 1 hour session you consistently see no paints on the flop, or maybe for a half hour...does one loosen up their starting hand standards and play non-suited connectors or 1 gappers suited from MP, LP obviously if you can see the flop cheaply, then again maybe not? Cold call raises based on the "cycle of cards". Anyone here experiment with this sort of play? Seems like you are truly gambling and risking alot more trying to play "the cycle of cards" kinda like black jack and "counting cards". Basically a "crapshoot" sort of speek. I Posted this here because like I said I'm curious and have had some sessions where the cards "seem" to run in cycles and if I would have played the exact opposite of my starting hand requirements (which are basically textbook hold'em hands), I would have made a killing. Also, I have read Super System, Most of Krieger's books, Hellmuth's book, and some other's and have not found anything on this subject? Anyone here have any input, suggestions, or stats, or books, Knowledge? Thanks in advance.

Lost Wages
11-19-2003, 07:19 PM
Anyone here have any input, suggestions...

Yes, forget about card cycles. As long as the cards are properly shuffled each deal is independent. Period.

...trying to play "the cycle of cards" kinda like black jack and "counting cards".

Card counting has nothing to do with playing "the cycle of cards". In blackjack, unlike poker, several hands are dealt from the deck before the cards are shuffled. Card counters simply observe which cards have already been dealt and adjust their strategy based the composition of the remaining cards.

Lost Wages

1p0kerb0y
11-19-2003, 10:11 PM
Very funny subject. Doyle Brunson mentions adjusting your play when your catching cards at one point in his book. I'm more of a math guy myself. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Robk
11-20-2003, 01:38 AM
Ken Warren's advice is over simplified at best, and often flat out wrong. You should not adjust your play based on what cards you've been catching, unless it's given you a certain image which you can take advantage of.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I have read Super System, Most of Krieger's books, Hellmuth's book

[/ QUOTE ]

You've read some bad books. Hopefully you've read HPFAP too? If not, you should. /images/graemlins/smile.gif