PDA

View Full Version : Am I playing these hands wrong?

el_grande
11-19-2003, 05:48 PM
My bankroll has been getting dwindled at Party .5/1 for about the last 400 hands. I'm wondering if these are just bad beats or if I am doing something wrong. Maybe I shouldn't be playing these hands at all. I just played about 100 hands and didn't win a single pot. The following hands happened within about 15 minutes of each other. Results coming up, but you know I lost them.

Hand 1:

I have Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in BB. 6 callers and I check.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif
I bet (would have folded to a raise), 5 callers.

Turn: J /images/graemlins/club.gif

ok.. cool. SB bets, I raise, 3 callers.

River: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets, I call, 2 folders.

Hand 2:

I have Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif in UTG+1. UTG calls, I call, MP calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB Calls, BB calls, I raise, call, call, BB folds, UTG calls
(I raised because of top pair and backdoor flush out)

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Check to me, I bet, call behind, 2 folders

(heads up river)

River: 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, MP calls.

Hand 3:

I have K /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP. (loose call?). 7 callers including SB and BB.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB bets, call, call, I raise, call, 3 fold, BB UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Checked to me, I bet, call, call, fold.

River: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Check, I bet, call, call

Festus22
11-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Hand 1: No way you should fold this after you bet and it's raised. SB caught his 2-outer. Oh well, next hand.

Hand 2: Looks OK to me.

Hand 3: I'd muck KTo in a heartbeat PF. Looks pretty standard after that.

No trainwrecks here IMO.

Nottom
11-19-2003, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif
I bet (would have folded to a raise), 5 callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding middle pair and a gutshot to a raise in a pretty big pot is a bad idea. I might have tried to checkraise here to push out other Js, Qs, or Ts and clean up some of my outs and you wouldn't really mind a free card.

I'm not sure what SB has here, but I think you played this hand fine.

Hand 2: looks good to me.

Hand 3: I don't like the preflop call, but other than that you played it fine. KT is a big time trouble hand for getting outkicked.

el_grande
11-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Hand 1: Opponent turned over K /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and took it down. Amazing he called a raise with TP-bad kicker with trips and a straight possibly out there. Not to mention he's playing K7s from the SB.

Hand 2: Opponent turned over 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and took it down. Calling a raise with middle pair.

Hand 3: Opponent turned over K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and took it down. Calling a raise with middle pair. This could be a case of playing KT preflop when I shouldn't have since there is no way to get away from it.

If these repeated beats are teaching me anything it's DON'T get involved with offsuit gap cards at Party unless there are only a couple of players seeing the flop. I'd rather have a decent chance of winning a small pot than a good chance of loosing a large one that I put a lot of cash into.

bisonbison
11-19-2003, 07:26 PM
again, I think that you didn't really play poorly. You got sucked out on. And your post-flop play did the best it could to drive the draws that beat you out.

Also, in hand 1, with no one raising you on the flop or turn, I've got to assume that no one's flopped 2 pair, trip kings or the straight, and the turn J makes you the favorite, with a few scare cards, but a ton of outs (anything not a K, T, 7). You played this well and got sucked out on with your least favorite card.

Qui-Gon
11-20-2003, 06:25 AM
I would play K7s from SB after 5 callers every time, is this a mistake?

Carlos
11-20-2003, 08:12 AM
No. Easy call.

Carlos

Saborion
11-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Isn`t the pre-flop call on hand 2 a bit loose? Or is it ok if the table is passive and you know how to handle the hand post-flop?

jbc
11-20-2003, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn`t the pre-flop call on hand 2 a bit loose? Or is it ok if the table is passive and you know how to handle the hand post-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, definitely too loose. Especially since poster has been doubting his play lately and his bankroll has been dwindling. I will normally only call QTs (in my opinion, a trouble hand) in LP with a caller or 2. I will also open raise with it in LP. IMHO, an easy muck in EP.

Play well,
jbc

Nottom
11-20-2003, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention he's playing K7s from the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats wrong with that?

Nottom
11-20-2003, 12:56 PM
At most tables I will play suited Broadway cards from any position, much like small pairs and Axs. If the table is a bit more aggressive than I will wait til MP to play them.

el_grande
11-20-2003, 01:06 PM
Could you expand on that? What are your rules for playing Kxs and Axs from the SB with different numbers of callers? Normally I would only play down to K9s. I would probably play Axs if there were at least 3 callers.

Nottom
11-20-2003, 01:09 PM
I'd play any Kxs or Axs from the SB for half a bet, with pretty much any number of callers. I'd also play any straight flush combo with cards > 5.

I really like to play suited stuff from the SB, gives me a chance to be a fish at half the price.

el_grande
11-20-2003, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, definitely too loose. Especially since poster has been doubting his play lately and his bankroll has been dwindling. I will normally only call QTs (in my opinion, a trouble hand) in LP with a caller or 2. I will also open raise with it in LP. IMHO, an easy muck in EP.

Play well,
jbc

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterday was a good day for me, and I attribute much of it to mucking unsuited broadway cards more often. I am going to be more cautious about playing QTs in EP too. My PF call percentage after 1K hands is 21%. I want to get that down to 18% or lower.

I'm still getting rivered A LOT. It has to be more than normal. Really. When I flop two-pair I wince because I know I'm going to get rivered. It happens almost every time at Party. Someone is calling me the whole way with top pair and then gets a better two-pair on the river or another player hits their flush draw. But, dammit, I'm going to keep betting it on the flop and turn!

Carlos
11-20-2003, 08:56 PM
I haven't given blind play much thought so you would be better served by looking elsewhere for further advice. But since you asked I'll play Kxs and Axs from the small blind against any numbers of limpers.

I think its about time I got a decent strategy for the blinds. Thanks for the inspiration.

Carlos

Carlos
11-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Dynasty on folding KTs UTG+1 after UTG folded.

[ QUOTE ]
Suited cards 10 and higher are some of the most profitable hands in loose-passive games. You should be playing them in unraised pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlos

el_grande
11-20-2003, 11:45 PM
Excellent