PDA

View Full Version : Top Newbie things I learned in my first "thinking" month online (long)

Hellrazor
11-19-2003, 05:37 PM
One month (4 days short of a month) 45 hours, around 4200 hands later up around 320BB's - my top ten things I have learned in microlimit:

1- Even maniac's get AA sometimes - if your hand is not particualy strong and someone is representing stongly without hesitation - most of the time you should just throw it away.

2- No fancy plays for the most part - raising on the flop for a free card on the turn usually is a waste on .5/1 1/2 tables. Most of the players barely remember what you did on the flop.

3- Bad beats - grin and bear it. If they cold call 2 with J2s and catch the flush on the river against your trip K's - yeah it sucks for the moment, but they will pay you back in the end - the negative EV of their play will catch up and the positive EV of your play will pay you.

4- Consider carefully how many ppl are in the play and how much money is in the pot when considering folding to bet, often because of so many callers and the number of bets in the pot compared to the number of outs you are drawing to - it pays to call a bet (sometimes it even pays to raise if the numbers justify it)

5- Don't cold call 2 bets pre-flop (generally) if you can call it - raise it. It's usually a raise or fold situation in a raised pre-flop.

6- Take notes on the players you face - you will see the same people over and over again - having notes like Raises pre-flop with Kxs - is a good thing to know.

7- If you are tired, feeling like you are loosing focus - stop playing. Take a break or the night off, don't induce tilting by playing in these conditions (or with anyone nagging you).

8- Don't teach ppl how to play at the tables - nor should you berate ppl for poor play. It's bad form and it scares the fishies off. (Or at worse makes them tighten up against you)

9- Confidence and playing tight agressive will win you $$ at the microlimits - post your hands here, learn learn and learn - it will help you gain the confidence in that you know the correct play.

10- Bluffing in microlimits for the most part is throwing away money. You're going to need to show the best hand to win 90% of the time.

Now that being said - keep your expectations realistic. i started out with a win rate of around 9.5 bb/hr and have seen it decline and further expect it to decline til I balance out. (Starting out too loosely and hitting a good run of cards can do a lot for win rate). I think a good thinking player should be able to beat the micro-limits for 3-4 bb/hr.

Now that I've gone ahead and posted this - please someone correct me. I'm here to learn and this journey is just getting started.

Thanks!

rkiray
11-19-2003, 05:43 PM

TheRake
11-19-2003, 06:07 PM
Pretty good list. I disagree with one thing here....

"raising on the flop for a free card on the turn usually is a waste on .5/1 1/2 tables. Most of the players barely remember what you did on the flop"

I find these tables to be mostly passive and this is a very effective way to see a free card. I can raise the flop for a free card on the button in a 6 handed pot and 5 players will check to me on the turn. The reason it works is because most these players don't understand this concept.

GL...Play well

TheRake

CardCuda
11-19-2003, 06:32 PM

jbc
11-19-2003, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

5- Don't cold call 2 bets pre-flop (generally) if you can call it - raise it. It's usually a raise or fold situation in a raised pre-flop.

6- Take notes on the players you face - you will see the same people over and over again - having notes like Raises pre-flop with Kxs - is a good thing to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to combine these two and track who calls two cold PF. This seems to be the number one indicator of a profitable table at micros - people who will cold call with crap. If you can get several of these at your table, you are set.

Play well,
jbc

Hellrazor
11-19-2003, 10:12 PM
I think I gave up on this pretty early into my latest journey - I'll have to try this again and see if it looks to be a +ev move for me.

Besides with the general number of callers - it's probably usually a good move with 4 to a flush or straight if you are late to act in the round..

Hellrazor
11-19-2003, 10:14 PM
My notes are full of this exact note - "called 2 pre with 67s" etc.