PDA

View Full Version : Did I play as poorly as my opponent?

chesspain
11-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Party 1/2 Tight-passive table

I'm UTG, and dealt 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I openlimp, UTG+1 calls, folded to the button who calls, SB folds, BB checks

2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me and I bet, UTG+1 folds, button calls, BB folds

[2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, button calls

[2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, button calls, and of course I take the pot. The reason why I remark on the button's poor play is that he flopped two-pair with K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif yet never raised me!

However, I'm curious if others think my play was just as poor, starting with my openlimp and continuing with my betting into both a K and an A. All constructive comments are welcome /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rkiray
11-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Tight passive tables are the absolute worst tables for medium pocket pairs. Tight is bad because you want lots of people to pay you off if you flop a set. Passive is also bad if you flop a set. You'd prefer a table with lots of postflop action to pay you off. Passive is better for suited connectors since you usually can draw cheap. This should be an easy fold preflop. On the flop with two overcards and 3 opponents I would check and fold. Since no one raised you, the rest of the hand is ok, but I'd probably check and call on the river.

The good news is the other guy played much worse than you, although he probably made more money by his bad play (assuming you would fold immediately to a raise).

Yeknom58
11-19-2003, 05:53 PM
I totally agree with you except for the part about checking and calling on the river. No way do I check call with a set, on that board, with no raises pre-flop.

Nottom
11-19-2003, 05:54 PM
If he saw you keep betting small pairs into people maybe he was correct (although I would have raised the river if that was the case).

I would have check-folded the flop and maybe taken a shot at it on the turn if it was checked through. Then again you were just semi-bluffing your 2-outer.

lil'
11-19-2003, 06:40 PM
Chess,

On a tight table you will not get the odds you need to flop your set, as the other players will be doing a lot of folding. This makes little pairs a fold in early spots.

rkiray
11-19-2003, 08:42 PM
Totally misread this (second time today). I didn't see that he made his set. I thought he lost to 2 pair.