PDA

View Full Version : Overplayed 99 with flush draw?

DougThor
11-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Looking for critique of this hand. Was dealt 99 in MP. I meant to raise to the early position callers and hit the raise button too quickly after realizing EP1 raised. This was my first mistake. Otherwise I would have called.

Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
Hero has 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is MP3

UTG limps, EP1 raises, Hero 3-bets, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, EP1 calls

Flop(15 SB): J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB folds, UTG folds, EP1 calls

Turn(9 BB): A/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, SB calls, EP1 calls

River(12 BB): 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, SB calls, EP1 calls

Basically this brings up when to draw for a flush when you have one card to the flush in your hand. I probably would have let the hand to to a bet on the flop but when it was checked to me I bet. Was this a mistake? Then when I made the flush on the turn was my 9s strong enough to bet? Should I have been more cautious of a 10, Q, or K of spades?

lil'
11-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Actually, 3 betting or folding is better than cold-calling the pre-flop raise.

I think betting the flop is good. I'm surprised it got checked to you. If they have no spades they will clear out quickly, and you might have the best hand.

On the turn they check to you again. The scariest spade is gone. I think betting is fine if you can release the hand to a raise.

On the river, I would think Ks and Qs would have done something, so I see no problem with betting again. It would suck if someone was calling along with the 10s.

lunchmeat
11-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Wow Doug, this is a tricky hand to play. Here are some observations. First off, 99 is not an auto-raise from EMP IMO. In a loose passive game I'll just call and try to get odds on a set.

I like how you played this hand on the flop and turn, but once you got two callers on the turn I wouldn't value bet the river. For 3 bets pre-flop you can be fairly certain that your opponents hold high cards, even if they are terrible poker players. A bet also leaves you wide open to a check/raise.

BTW: If one of the players in front of you bet the flop, I wouldn't recommend drawing to anything worse than the 2nd nut flush.

Hope that helps.

Nottom
11-19-2003, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically this brings up when to draw for a flush when you have one card to the flush in your hand. I probably would have let the hand to to a bet on the flop but when it was checked to me I bet. Was this a mistake? Then when I made the flush on the turn was my 9s strong enough to bet? Should I have been more cautious of a 10, Q, or K of spades?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the turn bet is awful, but the river bet is. When you get called on the turn in 2-places, I would be shocked if your 9 is good.

lunchmeat
11-19-2003, 01:36 PM
I don't think I was clear on my advice on the flop. I recommend calling here if no one raises. When it is raised in front of you (as was the case) I reccommend: reraising in a tight game. If this isn't the case, you should fold UNLESS you're playing in the rare of game where you are guarnateed at least five other players will see the flop for 2 bets without reraising. In this case you still have odds to call.

DougThor
11-19-2003, 01:47 PM
You mean the pre-flop play right? I'm going with Lee Jones advice about calling raises in MP and he does recommend calling with 99. I guess it depends on the style of the raiser. I didn't have a good read on him as I just sat down. So you're saying I need roughly 5 to 1 real odds, (maybe 7:1 implied odds) to call and hope to hit the set?

bisonbison
11-19-2003, 02:29 PM
I was just rereading the dangerous flop section of HEPFAP last night, and they recommend that on a monochrome flop you don't get involved without one of the top 2 flush cards.

On the flop, that'd be A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Obviously, the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif wasn't out there, but it'd be interesting to hear how often the 4th best non-board /images/graemlins/spade.gif could expect to take down this pot

PokerNoob
11-19-2003, 05:17 PM
I like all the bets. Preflop, excellent, you have the button. Checked to you on the flop, you gotta bet this. I've seen all fold many times. Checked to you on the turn, another must bet, this is the best card you could get. If EP1 pf raised KK or QQ with a spade, he bets or checkraises. River card is irrelevant unless you can make a case that 1) it makes it statistically less likely that your opponenets hold the T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, and 2) some will call a river bet in hopes of a split. In any case, another easy bet. What did your opponents show down?

Nottom
11-19-2003, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) it makes it statistically less likely that your opponenets hold the T,

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think just the opposite. You are now losing to 3 of the 7 possible Spades and opponent could be holding.

PokerNoob
11-19-2003, 05:48 PM
I guess by that I meant that there are 5 on the board and 1 in your hand. If there are already 6 revealed, does that make it more or less likely that your opponents hold any spades? Well, there's one less to account for. I dunno.