PDA

View Full Version : Legit Poker columnists

thomastem
11-19-2003, 12:49 PM
David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth, and Ray Zee have all done a great job in ponting out when someone gives inaccurate advice. IMO this is critical to new players that don't know enough to know whether the advice is good. When you guys call writers on the carpet when they have given bad advice it saves player lots of $$$ as they would have had to pay for that lesson. Kudos.

That said, I've grown to enjoy Lou Krieger's articles and own his internet book and "From Beginner to Winner". I haven't seen any posts either way on his advice.

What are your opinions on Lou Krieger?

One point that he makes that most posters here disagree with is that there is no automatic pre-flop raise. In the blinds with Big Slick or even high pocket pairs (he included A-A) if the table and circumstances a right that you gain more by not showing your strength till the turn. 1 little bonus as icing on the cake to this is that it is easier to fold the hand if you believe you are beat on the turn with the smaller investment (Not main reason for strategy).

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Easy E
11-19-2003, 01:03 PM
and you use the word "always," you're already wrong

Rushmore
11-19-2003, 01:07 PM
...that at the final table of a limit holdem tourney, 5-handed, second-biggest stacked, a player should not be playing AQ suited UTG.

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/archives/krieger42.htm

Am I wrong in thinking this is incorrect? In this position, 5-handed, it certainly looks like a raise to me.

I always read his stuff. But this one struck me as odd.

Reading the responses to the post over there, it seems there might be some misunderstanding as to exactly what he was saying.

Personally, I do not see it that way. I simply believe that he has thrown me a curve.

thomastem
11-19-2003, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...that at the final table of a limit holdem tourney, 5-handed, second-biggest stacked, a player should not be playing AQ suited UTG.

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/archives/krieger42.htm

Am I wrong in thinking this is incorrect? In this position, 5-handed, it certainly looks like a raise to me.

I always read his stuff. But this one struck me as odd.

Reading the responses to the post over there, it seems there might be some misunderstanding as to exactly what he was saying.

Personally, I do not see it that way. I simply believe that he has thrown me a curve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he is saying release your hand on the turn. If you reread in context he means playing the hand on the turn.

If he meant not playing A-Q suited pre-flop I would disagree with him as well. If A-Q isn't good enough to play UTG on the rare occassion that you do get a big pair and come who would give you action? This is too tight.

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-19-2003, 02:14 PM
One point that he makes that most posters here disagree with is that there is no automatic pre-flop raise.

I'll occaisionally not raise from the blinds with AK and I can see not reraising or capping with KK for deception, but AA gets played like a monkey 99.9999% of the time (never say always /images/graemlins/cool.gif)