PDA

View Full Version : The boy who cried wolf

12-22-2001, 06:33 PM
Loose and not especially aggressive game. Well, not at first anyway. After a bit, this kinda wild-man sorta player comes into the game (referred to as “wolf boy”). He tends towards “raise” when faced with a choice. So he’s raising and he’s raising. And he’s raising. Then again. After a while, it becomes apparent that he’s not exactly getting dealt one premium hand after another. In fact, he’s playing in a way that shadows being a maniac. His aggressive play is somewhat unpredictable, which is probably the most notable advantage his style is giving him. However, the disadvantages of this style will inevitably far outweigh the advantages. You can’t keep it up forever, sooner or later, it will wind up destroying you, leaving you an empty shell of a man, a mere shadow of your former self. Or perhaps you will just go bust and have to buy more chips. At any rate, I’m glad he’s two to my right, and not on my left.

So the game progresses and I get a better feel for wolf boy’s play. It’s erratic, and you can’t really judge his hand by his betting pattern. He has raised when entering the pot about 40-50% of the times he’s played. He has overplayed several hands quite badly, even when it should have been obvious to him that he was beat. I am forced to make adjustments because of his frequent raising. I stop making those “automatic” folds and re-assess what to do when he’s in the pot. Sometimes I’ll call with a hand I might have folded, other times I reraise with a less than premium hand to punish him for his aggressive tendencies, and to thin the field. We battle it out for hours, and he battles with the other players at the table too. He’s been winning, mostly from getting lucky, and has a large stack of chips at this point. We did battle heads-up several times, and it went a little both ways, he won some, I won some. I was slightly ahead, and he was a mile ahead.

The notable thing here is that he continued his aggressive play, even though I was obviously playing my “maniac game” against him. He sucked out a couple good ones on me, just to make it interesting. Once, I had AK and flopped top pair. He had played the hand like he had top pair (or some other strong hand), check-raising a flop of K x x rainbow (which I bet), then reraising, after which I just called. The turn came a ten and he bet, I raised, and he reraised. I knew that he might be in one of two situations: A) he had squat, in which case I was probably way ahead, or B) he had accidentally flopped a monster or turned a monster (or some other possibility which would leave me asking for the preparation-H). When the ace came on the river, he bet and I called, after which he showed me QJo for the nut straight. Ow! My Ass! Oh well… it’s all good. However, I ain’t never never ever gonna believe anything you sez ever again, NO MATTER WHAT. Onward into the fray we went.

So then this hand comes up. It’s the hand that gave me the inspiration to regale ya with this story. I’m in the SB with AQo. Two players limp and wolf-boy raises. I reraise and one of the limpers drops, the other calls. The flop comes K T x rainbow, not exactly a spectacular flop for my hand. It’s checked to wolf-boy, who bets. I considered folding as an option, but I see that the limper is going to fold, and I just can’t give up the pot to a single bet by this insane diabolical madman. I call and the limper folds. The turn comes an ace, giving me top pair. This is it, I’m making a stand RIGHT NOW. I bet out, hoping he just caught an ace (with a worse kicker) and raises me. Right on cue, he raises, falling into the trap I’ve just set for him (he he he…). I pop him good, punishing him for his extra-aggressive tendencies, extracting my bitter vengeance upon him, because after all, I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!!!!!! But then he reraises me again, making it four stacks o’ six. Hmmmmmmmmm… What up with that? It seems something may be slightly awry. Have my thoughts been so clouded by the desire for revenge that I’ve lost it completely? Am I just playing like a maniac in an attempt to conquer the maniac I am battling against? Have I become my enemy? I’m confused, my head is reeling, and my sanity just went out the window. Giving all the money in the pot, and that at this point I have four outs to the nuts, there’s certainly enough in there to draw for the straight. However, if I’m drawing only to the straight at this point, I think something went wrong somewhere…

Well, the river comes, and the Poker Gods smiled upon me. With the offsuit jack, I have the mortal nuts, the pure cheese, the big kahuna. I bet. My opponent is looking at me with a spiteful look in his eye. He puts his 6$ into the pot along with his pocket kings, face up. I take the pot with my flopped no-pair, gutshot on the river AQ.

Comments and flames welcome.

Dave in Cali

12-22-2001, 09:39 PM
Can I get the cliff notes for this hand?

12-22-2001, 11:45 PM
Geat Story! I can hear it now, about the in Cali who plays like a wildman, and the second wildman who called him down! LOL

12-23-2001, 12:13 AM
"His aggressive play is somewhat unpredictable,"

Already I'm thinking he's being way underrated.

"He has raised when entering the pot about 40-50% of the times he’s played."

Now I'm feeling like a live wire because my preflop raising percentage dwarfs his.

"He has overplayed several hands quite badly, even when it should have been obvious to him that he was beat."

After reading your AQ hand, I'm wondering if this is the same thing he told his buddy about you! :-)

Tommy

12-23-2001, 01:12 AM
Dave: "He has raised when entering the pot about 40-50% of the times he’s played."

Tommy: Now I'm feeling like a live wire because my preflop raising percentage dwarfs his.

Heh. I raise about 50% of mine pre-flop -- and I always thought I was weak tight!

12-23-2001, 11:22 AM
I'm checking out the games and I see this weird lanky guy in sunglasses and a bathrobe laughing and joking with the table, even though they are trying to ignore him and play proper poker.

He seems pretty loose but passive, so when a chair comes free with him two to my left I see a chance to gain a big edge in the game.

I'm right. Every time I try a steal raise, this guy, Davy from Cal I think they called him, folds! Beautiful!

I decide that even he might catch on if I raise every hand so I tone it down and only raise about half the times I enter the pot so he wouldn't get too upset and leave.

We have a few heads-up confrontations and admittedly he does win a few with turn and river hits. But I am miles ahead of the game because of my normal aggressive play, and he has luckily rivered a couple of little old ladies' silly bluffs so he's maybe even with his two starter racks. I'm looking to set him up for a big one.

One time, I'm drawing pretty thin to top straight, and I suddenly notice the guy is on total tilt! He's started betting and raising like a maniac! Well, normally, I'd fold to most players but with the K84 rainbow flop I put him on running a bluff with a pair of 8's, and even if I'm wrong, I want him to stay on tilt. And he's giving me the odds to draw for a one-eyed Queen if I needed it!! Then, good news! I river my straight! AND, the guy CALLS even though a goon would know he was beat! What a result! Tilt-city is gonna follow for sure now!

So then this hand comes up. Everyone on the table has been fanning the flames to keep the guy on tilt, and I've been laying low for a while. I look down. King-bloody-King! Woo-hoo! A quick glance to my left and I see Mr Tilt from Cal COUNTING his chips! This is the big one.

A couple of the little old ladies limp in, and I pop it, knowing that he's going to call. What does he do? He re-raises. Better than I could have hoped for. Well, I don't want to write KK on my head so I just call after one of the wrinkly brigade has folded.

The flop falls KT8 rainbow. The guy's "lucky 8" - tee-hee! Lucky, my ass... he's gonna have a sore ass...

Davy Tilt opens the betting. I reckon I could shove my whole stack in and he would call his 8's, so I raise. Right on cue, he re-raises, falling into the trap I've just set for him - tee hee - and, thank you Lord, he throws in yet another raise, letting me pop him again! Christmas has come early this year!

I see his eyes glaze over behind his fancy shades as realisation slowly dawns that even if he had AQo he would need a Jack to come near my now obvious KKK.

Most players would have thrown the towel in on that realisation.

But not our hero.

Oh no. He "feels it in his bones" that a Jack is gonna fall. And. What happens?

A mother-beeping Jack falls. Ye Poker Gods! What did I do?

I've never seen a player's face light up so much, as he flicked his $6 into the middle.

I'm afraid I let myself down by glaring at him after paying off what still might be just 88JJ as I showed my KKK.

But as he started his maniac giggling I didn't need to look down at his cards to know he had fluke rivered a straight.

Oh well.

Tomorrow is another day.

It'll be worth renting that seat on a 24/7 deal if he plays as much as I hear he does.

wolf boy.

12-25-2001, 09:39 PM
Wolf boy! Great post! Imagine my surprise as I'm sitting here just a tad tipsy on eggnog and I see that my story has (apparently) been re-told by my nemesis from an alternative point of view. Furthermore, my nemesis has gone so far as to paint ME as the villian! I love it! Us Super-Geniuses have to stick together, same thing with us Super-Magoos (sometimes the categories overlap).

Next time the wolf-boy doth cometh to the table, I shall be honored to butt heads with thee again! I think we should take a bow before the next pot that we both contest. Do so and I'll know that the person who posted under the name wolf-boy is in fact the real McCoy, and not just some imposter POSING as my nemesis....

Great post!

Dave in Cali