PDA

View Full Version : QQ in the big blind

cjs
11-19-2003, 10:57 AM
I would like to know if I played this hand correctly. Party 1/2 with usual loose players. I'm in the big blind with Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
ep1 and ep2 calls, 3 more calls after ep3 folds, button folds,sb calls and I check. (don't like to raise in the big blind)
flop: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
sb bets , I raise, ep1 calls , ep2 folds, mp2 calls, co calls, sb calls.5 people to the turn!
Turn : 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
sb bets, I raise (think I have the best hand still), ep1 folds, mp2, co and sb calls the raise. ( don't know if I have the best hand )
4 to the river and I'm sweating
River: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif Board: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
sb bets, I call, mp2 calls, co raises and everyone calls.
4 to the showdown and I have no idea who has what.
any help?
results to follow.

WillMagic
11-19-2003, 11:21 AM
1. Raise the flop!!! You are going to get 7 small bets from people with much worse hands than yours. You have got to raise it here.

2. You played it fine on the flop and turn. There are a ton of draws with that flop (both flush draws and open-ended straight draws) so you need to play it fast, which you did.

I think it's extremely likely that CO has a jack and is going to take this pot down. But I'm not sure that makes this call incorrect, with the pot so big. I'd like to hear from the experts on whether you can make this call on the river.

Will

cjs
11-19-2003, 11:28 AM
I don't like to raise in the bb because I like to check raise the flop. With the sb betting that became irrelevant.

lil'
11-19-2003, 12:51 PM
don't like to raise in the big blind
Too bad, because you missed out on a chance to charge 6 dominated hands a extra small bet.

TheRake
11-19-2003, 01:15 PM
CJS,
I used to not raise the blinds for deception when I had big pocket pairs, but then I realized most of my opponents are oblivious to this anyway. Why not charge the limpers that came in with unsuited one gappers and other various crap 2 bets to see the flop? There is no way any of them will fold since they have already entered the pot. You certainly have the best hand right now. Be the table captian and take charge of this hand while you have the best it. I could be wrong here, but I think you won this hand and you missed plenty of pre-flop action.

TheRake

TheRake
11-19-2003, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to raise in the bb because I like to check raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the flop comes AAK?

cjs
11-19-2003, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What if the flop comes AAK?

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is the flop I'm out with or without a prefold raise.

cjs
11-19-2003, 04:00 PM
sb [ 9h 8d ] [ two pairs, jacks and eights -- Jc,Jh,Th,8d,8c ]
bb myself [ Qh Qs ] [ two pairs, queens and jacks -- Qh,Qs,Jc,Jh,Th ]
mp2 [ Ts 9s ] [ two pairs, jacks and tens -- Jc,Jh,Ts,Th,9s ]
co [ 5c Jd ] [ a full house, Jacks full of fives -- Jd,Jc,Jh,5c,5d ]
And I'm a loser. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Joe Tall
11-19-2003, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(don't like to raise in the big blind)

[/ QUOTE ]

You should raise, JJ here.

With so many to the river, the board pairing the top pair and the straight out there. You are more than likely beat, in fact I think you came in a distant 3rd.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

Joe Tall
11-19-2003, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to raise in the bb because I like to check raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your reason for check-raising the flop? Is it that you like to check-raise?

Peace,
JT

cjs
11-19-2003, 05:00 PM
I'm a new player so that is why I posted this hand. I thought I could trap more players for more bets by slow playing with the check raise. In the bb they have no idea what I may have. It seems to me that the forum disagrees with me and I may have to change how I play this.

Nottom
11-19-2003, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought I could trap more players for more bets by slow playing with the check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop you can basically guarantee that everyone will call a raise. You can't expect everyone to call a flop checkraise. A checkraise on the flop is generally to knock players out not get money in, betting usually does a better job of that in an unraised pot.