PDA

View Full Version : Odd play advice from Wilson software

12-22-2001, 01:12 PM
I'm trying to figure out the logic behind a particular play that is recommended by Turbo Texas Hold'em.

On the hand QXo, it almost always says to fold right away.

However, last night while in the big blind, the early seats all folded, seat 4 raised, and all other seats folded. In this situation, it's advice to the big blind was to call.

Is this a software glitch or is there a reason why one would call this rotten hand in horrible position against a raised pot? And with no extra players to justify a gut shot draw?

(And no, I wasn't seeing seat 4 as a call instead of a raise. I played the hand again, 4 definitely raised, and the advisor said to call, not check.)

12-22-2001, 01:40 PM
OK

First off, the advisor on the software is NOT the final word on advice for this game. The advisor is frequently WRONG, and cannot be relied upon to give you the correct play. If you know when the advisor is wrong and WHY, you are on your way to really understanding this game.

As for the situation you described, I would have to say "it depends." I would not follow any advice regarding QTo BTF blindly. Sometimes I would play it, other times not.

Dave in Cali

12-22-2001, 01:41 PM
In the BB, since you are only putting up one bet, it may not be a bad idea to call heads-up, depending on the profile of the player in Seat 4. Could easily be that the raise is an attempt at a steal and you're not up against a monster. I've seen those "long distance" steals in a bunch of live games. You just have to be ready to release the hand real fast if the flop doesn't hit you hard. I'm not inclined to take the Advisor as Gospel, but in this case, I don't think it's a terrible suggestion.