PDA

View Full Version : Party $25 NL Ring - Too Aggressive?

Edge34
11-19-2003, 05:03 AM
This was probably the most notable hand from my $25 NL ring this past evening...

We're 9-handed, and the table seems somewhat loose-passive, but we've picked up a few new players recently. Blinds are .25/.50 and i've got $42.80 in front of me in the CO, when I'm dealt the T /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif

3 folds, one player limps, next player mucks, I raise to $2. Button raises to $3.50, folded back around to me, and I raise to $10, reading him for the AK. Button calls. Heads-up to the flop with $21.25 in the pot.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

That Queen is enough to make me want to get him off his hand, and I lead out for $10. Button raises all-in to $21.25, and I'm stuck. After some thinking, I decide to stick with my read of his holding AK. I call.

Turn K /images/graemlins/club.gif (i cringe)
River 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (a total rag)

Results to come. How do you think I played this hand? Too aggressive, just right? All comments welcome.

crockpot
11-19-2003, 12:04 PM
this pre-flop raise is pointless. if you're going to raise, make it to something like $4 or $5. limping is preferable to a min-raise.

i dislike the preflop reraise. your edge is small. if you think he has AK, why not wait until the flop hits, and make a big play then if there is no ace or king, when you are a big favorite instead of a small one? besides, if your read is wrong, you are probably behind.

once the flop hits, i would generally go for an all-in check-raise if i still felt he had AK. against any remotely aggressive player, the potential reward for this play is well worth the possibility that he will check and hit a free ace or king.

Nottom
11-19-2003, 12:23 PM
I don't see a reason for 3-betting preflop with TT at all. If you want him to have AK then see a flop and bet big if the flop is smallish cards.

After you see the flop here that $10 bet is nothing. Either trust your read and push all-in (or checkraise all-in) or don't trust your read and fold.

ChipWrecked
11-19-2003, 01:11 PM
once the flop hits, i would generally go for an all-in check-raise if i still felt he had AK

That's exactly what I would do.

Question though: $2 bet is 4x the big blind. Is that not a legitimate bet in NL?

edit: sigh. shoulda read the post, 'reraise'. OK. Anyway, I value your opinion Crock, so how about $2 as a PF raise? Good, bad, indifferent?

crockpot
11-19-2003, 03:21 PM
stupid, for some reason i thought that the blinds were .50/1 in this game. i guess it's because i'm so used to NL $50.

a raise to $2 is probably fine, although i might do it to $2.50 or $3 instead if i didn't limp.

i guess this also explains the point of the min-reraise to $3.50.

ChipWrecked
11-19-2003, 04:29 PM
i guess this also explains the point of the min-reraise to $3.50.

LOL. Yeah, to me this player just ran up a flag saying, "I am a mouth-breathing (albeit dangerous) moron".

Edge34
11-20-2003, 12:42 AM
Well, I figured i'd give some time for people to respond, and I appreciate all the responses. As for the results of the hand, my opponent held the A /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and I took down the $60 pot.