PDA

View Full Version : Preflop raise, fold the flop

PokerNoob
11-18-2003, 03:51 PM
I've noticed in a few different games where a player in EP or MP will open raise or raise a limper, then checkfold the flop over and over again, doing this about every other orbit. This is in a reasonably tight game for microlimits. They don't seem to be making any other egregious mistakes in their play. What are they doing? Raising medium or low suited connectors and folding when the flop misses? Raising low pocket pairs and folding when they miss trips?

Rico Suave
11-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Hey Noob,

They are probably raising with std good cards like AK, AQ, and KQ. But when they miss the flop and are bet into, they either do not have the odds or simply do not want to chase with their over cards.

They are making a mistake by doing it so often--people will notice and start to automatically bet into them after a pf raise when rags flop. (yes...there are thinking players in the micro-limits).

I think I tend to play too consistently on the opposite end, as I almost always feel compelled to bet into 1 or 2 opponents after I raise pf, even when I miss the flop.

--Rico

MortalNuts
11-18-2003, 05:01 PM
I've seen a few people who play all pocket pairs this way. Raise PF pretty much anywhere but UTG, then fold if overcards hit and they don't make a set. "Once every two orbits or so" is about right, on average, for getting dealt a pocket pair.

I think Hellmuth's book recommends raising all pairs PF, but I don't actually own that one and am just going by hearsay. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Personally I think it's a lousy play, but what do I know?

Playing medium suited connectors in MP this way seems somewhat reasonable, too, but I don't think I've personally run across someone I noticed doing this.

AliasMrJones
11-18-2003, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Hellmuth's book recommends raising all pairs PF, but I don't actually own that one and am just going by hearsay. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Personally I think it's a lousy play, but what do I know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I do own Hellmuth's book so let me make a correction. He doesn't recommend raising all pocket pairs as that would be foolish -- only pocket pairs 77 and above and recommends re-raising with these as well. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

PokerNoob
11-18-2003, 05:25 PM
I figured there was a book or school of thought that recommends this kind of early raising with a larger variety of hands than the "standard" set in a loose low limit game. I think I remember him going to showdown with A5s bet this way. Lee Jones makes a point about raising 87s late to a family of limpers, but doing anything like that early just doesn't make sense to me.

el_grande
11-18-2003, 07:25 PM
Is his advice geared toward low limit play though?

PokerNoob
11-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Lee's? Yes. Loose low limit no foldem games.

Nottom
11-19-2003, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure where Phil's advice would ever work. maybe at a table full of weak-tighties that never figure out that you are raising and 3-betting them with underpairs.